WLP 565 Autolysis???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2drunkmonks

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison 13 days ago with WLP565 Dupont yeast, the OG was 1.068. I pitched at 70F and slowly brought it up to 86F. Checked last night and it is at 1.014. I am figuring 4-5 more days to get to 1.005 - 1.007 FG. Am I going to have an issue with autolysis due to a 16-17 day fermentation? It is the first time I have used this yeast and it is a slow steady fermentation.

This is a notoriously slow yeast. I currently have a saison thats been going for 5 days now using this yeast. This yeast is known to stall out and then kick back up again between 2 - 14 days. Just keep those temps up and give it time. You might be in for a long wait.

Fortunately, it never really stalled out, it just keeps bubbling away at the OG slowly. Just read up on autolysis and i don't think it will be an issue.

I just checked my saison yesterday and it had been sitting on WLP565 for 22 days and was at 1.000 in my garage. Adjusted for temp it came to 1.002. I did not check it before, but my impression was it finished in about 10-12 days. I started at 67F for three days and ramped to 73 and then moved it to the garage. I tasted the hydrometer drawing and it was excellent with no off flavors other than being green and alcoholic. I like the yeast for summer brewing and will wash it for sure.

I agree it is a great summer yeast, in fact I had to use heater pads to get the temp over 80F where i wanted it, but I live in the Bay Area and we have perfect summers for almost any beer :)

Back