WLP 300 Hefe yeast has not started???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
ok i have never have used a WLP yeast before, so last night i brewed a wheat and pitched the 75 F yeast into 80F wort. i rushed it i know. i had to go to work. well, i didn't think i needed to make a starter being that it's a 2.5 gallon batch and the OG was 1.046. well here it is almost 24 hours later and nothing happening. absolutely nothing! i'm not used to that because i always get activity atleast 4 to 5 hours after pitch. i have a back up Safale 33 for wheats and my question is..... how long do u thnk i should wait to see fermentation start before i ***** the back up??? thanks for your help ! God Bless

long lag times are pretty common when pitching directly from a smack pack.

you were correct that you did not strictly "need" a starter, but most of us make them even from wyeast activator packs because the more yeast you pitch, the shorter lag time, the less chance of infection and fewer off flavors due to stressed yeast.

that being said, your beer will probably be fine. wait at least two more days before even thinking about repitching and if you haven't already, attach a blowoff tube and put the other end in a jar or bucket of sanitizer. that is an active yeast!

Back