WLP 051 California V Ale ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freebird

Reaction score
Using WLP 051 California V Ale yeast in my latest AG batch (5 lb 2 row 1 lb 6 row 2 lb flake maize 1 lb rice syrup solids), and it smells like sulphur while working.

It cranked in about 18 hours (made a starter 4 days before).

White Labs literature cites some strains as having sulphur characteristics, but not this one.

any prior experience anyone?

I've used it a few times and had good results, although I don't remember a strong smell during fermentation, but I also had the primary in the garage. I wouldn't worry too much about the sulfur smells. They'll be gone soon enough. Just don't rush the process.

FWIW, after about a week and a half in the secondary the smell was gone. Gave it a couple more weeks to be sure; then bottled it 2 weeks ago. had me one last night, turned out OK!!!!

Another batch of "lawnmower beer"!!!

I just brewed with this yeast and had heard about a sulfur smell... 2 days after pitching and... whoa! The whole house smells like sulfur. The yeast looks like its doing a good job, but I would recommend fermenting in a side room, garage or wherever, unless you like the smell of napalm in the mornin! :D

I just brewed with this yeast and had heard about a sulfur smell... 2 days after pitching and... whoa! The whole house smells like sulfur. The yeast looks like its doing a good job, but I would recommend fermenting in a side room, garage or wherever, unless you like the smell of napalm in the mornin! :D

+1 on sulfur smell but to varying degrees. I am now on my 3rd batch with this yeast and I love the way is settles out so clear, no muss no fuss.

The 1st batch smelled big time of sulfur, the whole basement had the odor and when I opened the basement door, whoa! But the end result had no sulfur nose at all.

The 2nd batch was not as bad but noticeable . Again, the final beer was fine

This 3rd batch had very little smell during fermentation but I took a hydrometer sample after 9 days and it has a distinct sulfur nose. I really noticed it when I took the air lock and stopper off the Better Bottle. Once past the initial whiff while tasting the sample, the beer tastes fine. I am hoping it will work itself out in a few more days. If I still smell it after 2 weeks I will move to a secondary (which I haven't done since my 1st batch) for week to get it off the yeast.

Weird, I am useing their California yeast right now in my IPA and there is no smell. It's in the pantry, so my SO would surely say something if it did smell bad.

Just brewed last Sunday, March 13 using California Ale V WLP051 and am getting a slight sulfur smell. It's fermenting at 68 degrees right now. I was worried since this was only my 3rd AG batch. I thought I might have introduced some bug during my process. It sounds like from all of your experiences I should be fine. I'm planning on 1 week on primary then dry hopping for 2 weeks in secondary.

Since this yeast starin came up again, I thought I would update my previous post...

The sulfur smell in the house was mostly due to a water leak under my house... yep... sewer water.

I currently am fermenting with the WLP051 yeast... there is a sulfur smell... but it's nothing like I had posted earlier...

Just brewed last Sunday, March 13 using California Ale V WLP051 and am getting a slight sulfur smell. It's fermenting at 68 degrees right now. I was worried since this was only my 3rd AG batch. I thought I might have introduced some bug during my process. It sounds like from all of your experiences I should be fine. I'm planning on 1 week on primary then dry hopping for 2 weeks in secondary.

Save yourself some effort and leave it in the primary 2 weeks, check hydro at that point and then if done, toss in the dry hops for another 1-2 weeks.

Since this yeast starin came up again, I thought I would update my previous post...

The sulfur smell in the house was mostly due to a water leak under my house... yep... sewer water.

I currently am fermenting with the WLP051 yeast... there is a sulfur smell... but it's nothing like I had posted earlier...

It's really not funny, but I laughed my ass off when I read that...

Generally, if the smell's coming out of your airlock, it's not going to be in your finished beer. Some yeasts produce funky smells during fermentation. I can't recall any of them retaining that funky character in the finished beer, though.

I had the same issue recently. First thought it was the dog.

After the dog left the area for awhile, hit google and found the answer: common smell of sulfur with this yeast.

At one point was thinking: Should I dump it?

As they say every experience is a good one.

I wouldn't dump it! I believe this mix of yeast includes a lager as well as the other 2 cal ale yeast....probable sulfur cause

Back