WLP 007 Vs Wyeast 1098

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramstoker17

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what experiences others have had subbing these two yeasts with one another. In the yeast comparison charts I've seen, these are listed as the same or at least comparable strands. I'm a big fan of WLP 007, and use it in several of my beers. When fermented in the mid 60's, I love what it does to compliment my hoppy beers. It's got just a bit more character than the normal American yeast strains, but still ferments pretty neutral, clean, and dry.

I just used 1098 for the first time since my LHBS was out of 007, and I did not find it to be as clean fermenting as 007. I fermented two beers, a black rye IPA similar to Firestone Walker Wookey Jack, and an Imperial Red, both at 65 degrees. While both beers are still really good, I notice a lot more of that English ester profile, and it just doesn't compliment the beers as well.

I'm curious what experience others have had with substituting these two yeasts. I saw a couple threads when I searched this topic, but not many people seemed to have used both yeasts, just one or the other. Anyone else have any experience with swapping these yeasts? Just trying to help to see if they are in fact a good sub for one another, because they seem a bit different to me.

I've used both. The 007 used to be my go-to yeast for my British ales. It is drier and cleaner than the 1098. It attenuates up to 80% while the 1098 is about 75%. I just brewed an English brown ale yesterday with 1098 specifically because I was looking for a maltier profile. The 1098 definitely gives more of an "English ester profile" but that's what it's supposed to do. If you want an English profile that's cleaner I would definitely stick with the 007. They may be the same or similar strain (I don't know) but I would not consider them interchangeable.

Back