WL670 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omega3

Reaction score
When using WL670 should I leave the beer in the primary for 4 months or rack to secondary after fermentation?

rack to a secondary. I did this with a blonde after primary was finished, saw some nice looking pellicles a week or so later. Blonde ale came out amazing

Brewing with this yeast now. One brewed on 5/24 was racked to a secondary plastic jerrican with pvc membrane vent cap about a week ago, and has a pellicle forming already. I'm of the mind to rack over just to free up a primary if nothing else. I'm getting some leathery funk after taking a reading a few days ago. I'm jazzed.

When using WL670 should I leave the beer in the primary for 4 months or rack to secondary after fermentation?

up to you, theres no need to rack if you don't want to. i prefer to just let it be

Ok, I would rather just leave it sit instead of transferring and causing any unnecessary oxidation. I know auto lysis is something that really only happens in breweries but I didn't want any unwanted off flavors from leaving it sit. But sounds like either way is ok

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

autolysis won't be a worry in that time period, plus if any did, the brett can metabolize the compounds. you're all good, i've done it a number of times

Another question what temp did you let it sit at after fermentation? I'm planning on going up to 80 for fermentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm not too finicky with my brett/sours, once bulk of fermentation is over I just leave them somewhere I know is over 60, typically closer to 70

I've used 670 twice now. Both times I racked to secondary after 2 weeks then let it ride for 3-4 months. I let it ferment in the house instead of the fermentation closet, which means mid-hi 70's.

Back