Witbier: Higher End of Carbing in Champagne Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgarlic

Reaction score
I'm bottling my witbier in champagne bottles today. We love the effervescence of a more highly carbed wit, but I've never bottled in anything but 12's and 22's so I don't have a feel for the effects of higher volumes of carbing. I'm thinking of going to somewhere between 3.75 and 4.25 volumes. Any experiences or thoughts to guide me? I know the bottles will take 7 volumes, but I don't want the beer gushing out at opening.

Apparently not a very interesting question. For what it's worth, I primed it to carb at 4 volumes, and I will post the results.

I'll be interested to see how this turns out. The very first beer I made was a Wit, and I remember thinking it would be great with a little extra carbonation.

I bottle most of my wits for at least 3 vol in grolsch bottles. I've never gone as high in 4 vol in champagne. I usually reserve that level of carbonation for saisons. I'm interested in the results.

4 volumes turns out to be a great carb level for the witbier. First gushed, but since then everything's been delightfully effervescent with a proportional head. Win.

Back