Wit - Potential Grain Bill for a Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave46382

Reaction score
Looking for your thoughts on this potential grain bill for a Wit:

5.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.89 %
4.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 35.56 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.89 %
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.44 %
0.25 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2.22 %

You are pushing the limits of what the enzymes in the pils can convert. I would either swap out a pound of the wheat for more pils, or swap out a pound or two of the pils for American pale, which has more enzymatic power. If you want to give it a shot as is just hold the mash until an iodine-starch test comes back negative.

You probably won't be able to taste the contribution from that little Munich, but it won't hurt at all.

Good luck.

I would like to hijack this thread and ask for help developing an all-grain for a double wit. Anyone have a good recipe for this. I tried the Great Divide Double Wit over the summer and want to try and clone.

Thanks

looks okay. I like using oat malt if it is avalable, and wouldn't personally use the munich on a witt, but it works!

what mash schedule were you thinking of, and can your system use 45% unmalted wheat/oats without a stuck runoff/sparge?
.5# hulls may not be enough on some systems, on others it works fine.

Back