Wit Beer with Lavender Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eerrpp

Reaction score
I was thinking of brewing a wit beer with the attached recipe. I was thinking about adding Lavender to the recipe. Maybe 0.5 oz of lavender.

Any thoughts on making this beer with lavender? Do you think it would work? Do you think 0.5 oz is enough or too much lavender to use?

Thanks.

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

1/2 oz is way too much. I bought an ounce from a spice shop and quickly realized it took a lot of lavender to make an ounce.

I used 2 Tablespoons, if I had to guess maybe around 1/8 ounce, in 5 gallons of a kolsch and it's enough to know it's there without being overpowering. remember its always easier to add more later than to take it away

Good advice. How do you think the lavender would go with that recipe? I was thinking it would go well with the sweeter flavors. But I'm not sure about the coriander and black peppercorns. Although that might work too.

I've done a wit using orange peel, lavendar and chamomile that I absolutely love. I use 1.5 tbsp of dried lavendar flowers from a spice shop at knockout. If you want the recipe, I'm happy to help out.

I've done a wit using orange peel, lavendar and chamomile that I absolutely love. I use 1.5 tbsp of dried lavendar flowers from a spice shop at knockout. If you want the recipe, I'm happy to help out.
Yeah I'd be interested in seeing your recipe. Sounds similar to the recipe I posted.

be very very careful with the lavender. even a little can make your beer taste like an overpowering air freshener (voice of experience, couldn't drink it). Put 1-2 tablespoons in a dry hop bag, and put it in after fermentation. sample the beer every day---1-2 days will probably be enough time.

Sorry I forgot to post my recipe. I used chamomile tea bags and fresh lavender. The chamomile at this quantity can overpower if too fresh, but the lavender is a good amount. Note this is a 6 gallon batch. I've made this recipe about 10x, so any questions, please ask.

PS - ignore the jolly pumpkin dregs. I soured half of this (and it was great, btw).

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 10.48.18 AM.jpg

I have a saison I did with lemon peel and lavender ready right now and it is great! I put .2 oz in at flame out with .25 oz of lemon peel. Given this was a 2 gallon batch the lemon is much more pronounced than the lavender. I took the remaining .8 oz of lavender and put it in vodka to make a tincture to add at bottling if needed. It was necessary and iI put 2 fl oz of the lavender vodka in the bottling bucket.

Back