Wiring RS485 / PID.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
Evening All.
I've finally managed to set up a virtual com port on my old net book, this should alow it using the appropriate software to control my PID.

The PID outputs data+ and data - I need to connect them to a standard network socket (rj45 socket) which pins should I connect the to?

The software for the PID will let me programme it and display graphs of what's going on, I'm looking forward to that.

Many Thanks. Aamcle

Standard network cable has 4 twisted pairs all matched by color. One wire of the twisted pair will be a solid color like green. It's other half of the pair is the white one with a green stripe. RS485 is a differential pair so you want to connect the + and the - to one of the twisted pairs.

Thanks Crane, but I'm still stuck.

On my PID connection 11 is - Data and 12 is + Data and I have to connect wires to them they are not prewired just screw terminals.

If I connect a wire to 11 - Data which pin in the RJ45 Socket (wall plate) should it be connected to?
What about connection. 12 + Data which pin does that go to?

Thanks Again. Aamcle

Hmm. Are trying to connect RS485 to your local network? If so that won't work. They are 2 completely different and non-interchangable protocols.

I have a RJ485 adapter/Virtual com port unit that plugs into a USB port it has a RJ45 receptacle (female socket). It's USB one end and RJ45 at the other.

I now need a cable to run from it to a socket on my control box and to wire the pid to the control box socket.

My plan is to use a network cable to connect the RJ45 Female socket in the RJ485 adapter to a Female Socket mounted on the side of the control box.

That part of it should be OK.

My PID has outputs for +Data and -Data but I still need to connect those outputs to a female RJ45.

This is were the problem lies, I don't know which pins on the socket to connect then to!

Atb. Aamcle

Sorted I hope! I've finally found enough details of the adapter to let me when wire up.

Thanks. All. Aamcle

Back