Wire/Cord Management for Keezer (Possibly losing cold air...)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3toes

Reaction score
I recently finished building my keezer: collar, circulation fan, insulation... everything went pretty smoothly (which is a first!).

Since wrapping it up, I've been keeping my eye on the temp controller as I'd never used it with a circulation fan before, and wanted to make sure it was going to keep the temp much more stable (I'd previously just used it as a ferm/lager chamber without a fan.

I noticed that it seems to be struggling to stay in the ballpark of 38*F... It can sit pretty comfortably at 40*F, but I'd really like to get it sub 40 if at all possible. I should probably note that I have the fan running constantly, not just when the temp controller kicks the compressor on.

I was wondering if I might be losing some cold air due to the fact that I just have the power cord going between the collar and the lid, so it probably isn't sealing as best as it possibly could. With that in mind, I'd like to drill a hole in the back of the collar to route the power cord (and temp probe) through.

However, I'm not really sure what kind of fixture (grommet/washer/etc.) I'd need to put in to feed the cords through that will hopefully minimize cold air escaping. Could I simply drill into the collar and insulating foam, feed the cords through, and then just use silicone sealant? I'd like something that would be a little easier to disassemble if need be than that... Just in case I need to replace the fan or temp probe at some point.

I recently finished building my keezer: collar, circulation fan, insulation... everything went pretty smoothly (which is a first!).

Since wrapping it up, I've been keeping my eye on the temp controller as I'd never used it with a circulation fan before, and wanted to make sure it was going to keep the temp much more stable (I'd previously just used it as a ferm/lager chamber without a fan.

I noticed that it seems to be struggling to stay in the ballpark of 38*F... It can sit pretty comfortably at 40*F, but I'd really like to get it sub 40 if at all possible. I should probably note that I have the fan running constantly, not just when the temp controller kicks the compressor on.

I was wondering if I might be losing some cold air due to the fact that I just have the power cord going between the collar and the lid, so it probably isn't sealing as best as it possibly could. With that in mind, I'd like to drill a hole in the back of the collar to route the power cord (and temp probe) through.

However, I'm not really sure what kind of fixture (grommet/washer/etc.) I'd need to put in to feed the cords through that will hopefully minimize cold air escaping. Could I simply drill into the collar and insulating foam, feed the cords through, and then just use silicone sealant? I'd like something that would be a little easier to disassemble if need be than that... Just in case I need to replace the fan or temp probe at some point.

I've used silicone in any holes I've drilled through my collar, but you could also roll up a little ball of duct seal and tuck that around the wire. Stays flexible and you can remove it later on without having to cut the silicone and deal with sticky residue.

stumbled across this thread as I'm also been trying to figure out the cleanest way to run two 14/3 power cords out the back of my collar. I've been trying to find strain relief cable glands that can go through a 3/4 inch thick bulkhead, but such a thing appears not to exist. So I may get a couple of these and see if I can rig them up like grommets through the collar. https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Ele...relief+cord+rubber&qid=1578751966&sr=8-3&th=1. I was also thinking of simply drilling holes just big enough to fit the diameter cord itself (plug removed). Would prefer to have strain relief there, but I figure I could staple it down just inside the collar, prior to any splice. If I could get a snug enough fit, I assume it would cause very little heat loss. Anyway, no doubt caulk and duct tape can do the job, I just feel like there's got to be a "cleaner" solution that also provides strain relief.

Back