Winter Warmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpaz

Reaction score
So I am doing a kit from my local homebrew store. Here is what it has:

6lbs LME
0.5 Roasted Barley
2 lb corn sugar
2 oz challenger hops - 60 mins
Munton's Gold Yeast

I was also planning on a partial mash. Maybe 2-3 lbs of 2 row and 0.5 of chocolate malt. What are your thoughts on that? I was hoping to get a little better, more complex taste and a darker color for this batch.

Also, the plan was to do the partial mash, bring to a boil, add hops, then 10 mins left add all of LME. My extract batches so far aren't bad but I still get that weird after taste I don't like. Still working out the kinks...

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks for the time and help!

the roasted barley should give you plenty of depth and roast. the chocolate would help but could also turn you on the bitter side. a small amount of biscuit could help fill this in. I would consider some dark wheat or oats.

What about stepping up the roasted barley to 1 lb and no chocolate malt? Or would you still suggest 0.5 of roasted barley and 0.5 biscuit of some sort?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Hmm, 1 lb of Roasted Barley would make you a stout. 0.5 lb of RB and 0.5 lb of chocolate would be a little lighter, but still pretty roasty for a winter warmer. Maybe add 2-4 oz of chocolate and it will still be darker as you are looking for.

Also 2 lbs of corn sugar will really dry this out, which may or may not be what you want. Adding 2-3 lbs of 2 row will make this a big beer indeed, but would be nice. Make sure you pitch enough yeast or it will be a spring warmer by the time it's ready. Maybe 2 packets of dry yeast are in order.

Thanks for the insight. Maybe I'll keep 0.5 roasted malt and a few oz of chocolate malt to darken it and add some flavor. Also, I was thinking the same thing with the corn sugar. I don't know enough about it to know what to do but maybe I'll only use half of it.

Sounds like good changes, 1 lb of corn sugar will still dry it a little, but will also boost the ABV nicely. Adding the barley from the partial mash will counter. 2-3 lbs of Maris Otter instead of 2-row will add a little bit of extra malt and bready flavors. Maybe worth the added $2-3 to you, if not no biggie.

Should I play it safe and go two packets of yeast?

If it's over 1.060 OG I go with 2 packets of yeast. You'd probably be okay up to 1.070, but dry yeast is pretty cheap. Less byproducts to clean up with more yeast cells initially.

Gotcha. Would you suggest I pitch the same type of yeast? It comes with muntons gold so either I can get another of those are mix and match with safale 05 or something. Or just buy two 05.

Yes I would probably get 2 of the same kind. Also your Muntons yeast may only be 6 grams, whereas most other dry yeast sachets are 11 grams.

Have you or anyone else reading ever used Muntons Gild Yeast before? I never have and was seeing who else has. Might post that in the yeast section but figured I'd try here first.

I have gotten it a few times as a "free" throw in yeast in kits. I must admit I have not fermented any batches with it, but I have used it as a bottle carbing yeast for high gravity ales and to carbonate my lambic brews that have sat around for a year or longer. Works well for that, but I am just sprinkling a little into each bottle.

Back