"Winter Warmer" recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDog-Brewery

Reaction score
Hi All !

There are so many recommendations for a "Winter Warmer".

I searched Google and also here on the forum only to find that a "Winter Warmer" is not a very well defined style.

Can someone recommend an all-grain recipe that has become an "heirloom" that you have personally brewed multiple times for your friends and family over the last few years?

The recipes that I seem to be most attracted to are the ones that are geared more towards adding small amounts of spices to the BK.

I envision something that comes out on the "drier side" of being malty, but has a hint of seasonal / Christmas type of warm winter spices without being overwhelming.

Please share !

when it comes to winter warmers I prefer what are really old ales or strong ales. my favorites are Avery's old jubilation, deschutes jubelale, & rahrs winter warmer. Avery has homebrew recipes available on their website if that interests you.
but it really sounds like what you're looking for is more of a spiced Christmas ale.
have you checked the hbt recipe database?
is there a commercial example you really like & would like to clone?

. . . but it really sounds like what you're looking for is more of a spiced Christmas ale.

Thanks meatcleaver for your commercial recommendations of what I should try. But as expected, the 2 great beer distributors in my area told me this weekend that I am way to early for the party. Beers like that won't be coming until the second week of November.

But part of your response (which I have quoted above) really nails it.

It turns out that I am actually looking for that slightly spiced Christmas'y Ale flavor that is featured in the micro brewery seasonal 12 packs (usually only 2 bottles in the 12 pack).

You have over 500 posts to your credit. If you have a favorite Christmas Spiced Ale that you are probably getting started to brew right now for the holidays, do you have a recommendation?

Looking fwd to your reply!

Thx.

Last year, I did a biscochito saison that turned out pretty well. MO + Vienna + Oats for a "cookie" base, mashed high, bittered to about 15-20 IBUs, and finished with some kind of "orange-y" hop at flameout, and fermented with 3711 or 566, cooler than normal, for the base beer. To that, I added 1/2 tsp of anise seeds and 1/2 cinnamon stick at 5 minutes left in the boil for a 1 gallon batch.

This year, I'll probably bump the spice level up just a bit - it was just right for the first couple weeks, but conditioned out pretty quickly.

I brewed the Christmas in Belgium found in the recipe sections twice now, and am going to be brewing it again soon. It is very good, and only gets better with age.

Back