Winter Seasonal Beer Winter Maple cinnamon spice beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikaris

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP013 London Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Spice with a hint of maple
In the process of brewing a winter Ale that has cinnamon and ginger at the beginning of a 60 min boil and 16 oz of maple syrup added at flameout. My question is how can I add more maple flavor since a lot of the character will be lost with co2. Should I add a bit of maple syrup in the fermentor? I am kegging this beer.

The maple syrup at flameout will produce very little to zero maple flavor. Depending on the brand, most of the maple syrup will become yeast food (almost 100% fermentable) and all flavor will dissipate during primary fermentation. This could also really dry the beer out unless you closely watch and stop fermentation.

You might want to consider adding your maple syrup (should be quality syrup) to the secondary or at bottling. If you decide to try it at bottling, be careful. The process will vary depending on if you bottle condition or keg. If you bottle condition be sure to understand the dynamics of what's going on with the syrup acting as your priming sugar. You could have bottle bombs.

You can also try maple extract at bottling. I have had good luck with some extracts, but always start with less than you think you need, you can always add more.

Back