Winter Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing to remember if you decide to move indoors for the winter is that there is no rule that says you have to brew 5 gallon batches. Winter is a great time to drop down to 2 - 3 gal batches and do some experimental brews. Play around with recipes and hop and yeast varieties without breaking the bank or having 5 gallons of something that didn't turn out great but you did learn from.

Another thing to remember if you decide to move indoors for the winter is that there is no rule that says you have to brew 5 gallon batches. Winter is a great time to drop down to 2 - 3 gal batches and do some experimental brews. Play around with recipes and hop and yeast varieties without breaking the bank or having 5 gallons of something that didn't turn out great but you did learn from.

I use a 5 gallon brew kettle with a brew in a bag sack to do 2-3 gallon brews. I ferment in 3.5 gallon food grade plastic buckets that I buy from Walmart's bakery for $1-2. Add in a 50 cent grommet from the hardware store and you have a cheap fermentor. You can buy 5 gallon paint strainer bags for around 3 for $5 to use as a BIAB sack if you don't want to sew your own bag.

Living in the Hot Humid south, I prefer brewing in the winter. In the summer depending on how hot its been for a period of time the house water is not cold enough to cool boiling Wort. Ive solved this buy using ice in my HLT and circulating Wort through the HERMS coil, I have used as much as 40lbs of ice to get the job done.

Oh and brewing beer in 95+ degree temps SUCKS! I brewed once at the end of the summer, since september I've brewed 60 gallons of beer.

I brewed today during the tail end of an ice storm here in Vermont, 28 degrees outside. There was 3/4 of an inch of ice on my car when I started heating water. I thoroughly enjoyed myself today. I brew under an exterior overhang. I work all week at a desk; it's nice to be outside, I don't care what time of year. RIMS worked fine (loving Bobby's new RIMS tube).

Make sure your hoses are empty. Easy enough. Other than that, I only see cold brewing as an advantage. I can chill so much faster with snow/ice.

I use a pond pump in a large plastic tub to chill my IC coil (I recirculate the wort too). I had plenty of ice to keep shoveling in. I was at 58 degrees and ready to pitch my blonde ale within a 1/2 hour (I like to pitch and ferment cold).

I have brewed at zero, but I'm not looking to, that's a little extreme.

I brewed today during the tail end of an ice storm here in Vermont, 28 degrees outside. There was 3/4 of an inch of ice on my car when I started heating water. I thoroughly enjoyed myself today. I brew under an exterior overhang. I work all week at a desk; it's nice to be outside, I don't care what time of year. RIMS worked fine (loving Bobby's new RIMS tube).

Make sure your hoses are empty. Easy enough. Other than that, I only see cold brewing as an advantage. I can chill so much faster with snow/ice.

I use a pond pump in a large plastic tub to chill my IC coil (I recirculate the wort too). I had plenty of ice to keep shoveling in. I was at 58 degrees and ready to pitch my blonde ale within a 1/2 hour (I like to pitch and ferment cold).

I have brewed at zero, but I'm not looking to, that's a little extreme.

Now that's cold, it was near 80 where i live in NC, freakishly warm even for north east NC.

Hearing from all of you has inspired me to rough it out and stick with outdoor brewing. I'm planning to brew the day after Christmas. I like how this thread has gone. Keep the winter tips and stories coming! Thanks a lot guys!

Hearing from all of you has inspired me to rough it out and stick with outdoor brewing. I'm planning to brew the day after Christmas. I like how this thread has gone. Keep the winter tips and stories coming! Thanks a lot guys!

Make a plan and execute it. If you have an IC, the pond pump trick is excellent. Can't recommend it enough.

I move around enough that I was brewing in a hoodie a 28 degrees. And I'm in and outside quite a bit through the different cycles.

What about electric burners? I've been checking out a few. I see induction can boil a good amount. Do they use more then a normal plug?

I set up the kettle in the garage with the garage door open. Cuts down the wind and takes a little bite out of the cold. I BIAB and when I start mashing I close the garage door. I don't open it again until I need to start boiling.

I had a ton of ice on my driveway when I brewed last Friday. When I started the immersion chiller the exit water was so warm I used it to melt the ice around the garage doors. Unfortunately that water flowed downhill and made a skating rink out of my turnaround. I forgot it was there when I went to blow snow this morning and nearly busted my @ss.

what is all this tomfoolery? i brew in the winter. boil and mash outside. wrap the cooler with a blanket. stick to lower mash temps so mashing is less headache. 17 degree window is hard to hit consistently. as for chilling, i walk the kettle in the house and use my immersion chiller. small garden hose connects to the sink with a faucet adapter from lowes. my ground water is ice cold this time of year :D

I love brewing outside in the winter. All that free ice in the form of snow for recirculating the cooling water. I'm lucky though that I have a wash tub inside that has a faucet I can hook my hose to. So, I do all my filling of water from there. I mash in my cooler in the kitchen and it's a short few steps to the garage from there. I'll take brewing on a 20 degree day over a 90 degree day any time. Plus, not having to worry about bees, wasps, falling leaves and flies is awesome.

Usually if it's above 20, I just go ahead and hook up my hoses outside. Just make sure you don't leave them connected when not running water through them. The key is to get yourself a spare hose you keep inside during the winter. So You don't have to deal with frozen rubber as well.

Correction: There's SOME bad weather. That's pretty friggin' cold.

That's a normal temp here. I expect it to get worse with the temperature getting down to the -35 to -45 range most winters. Brewing weather. I brew indoors but take the wort outside to chill. Who needs a wort chiller?

That's a normal temp here. I expect it to get worse with the temperature getting down to the -35 to -45 range most winters. Brewing weather. I brew indoors but take the wort outside to chill. Who needs a wort chiller?

That is skiing weather! ;)

I have a wort chiller and I run the discharge line outside under the garage door. I left it outside for minute, turned on the water and the hose exploded (frozen line) within a minute or two. Luckily no one got hurt. It's too cold. I'll just stick to chilling the brew into the laundry room sink. Being a bayou boy in MN, I'd rather keep the garage door shut and stay warm but there are many other advantages to winter, No Mosquitoes, the snow makes a great floor sweep for the garage floor, chills a bottle of beer quick and that's all I have. It's just damn cold. ;)

Back