winelike flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_f

Reaction score
Hi there!
I have a quick question: may an excess of chocolate malt produce a wine-like and slightly acidic flavor?

I recenty brewed a brown and today I racked to the secondary. The density was higher than expected but may still have to atenuate more. Now the flavor is weird... kind of winelike...
I checked my logbook and I "might" have put more chocolate than necesary but I am not sure...

other posibility is contamination I guess... but it is not definitely vinegar flavor it is more wine like right now.

I'll let it sit in the secondary for 2 weeks and then I'll see, meanwhile any idea is welcome!

thanks in advance!
JP

Perhaps posting your recipe/ methods will help?

Sure it's not 'cidery' that you taste, from too muuch table sugar?

casebrew said:
Perhaps posting your recipe/ methods will help?
Sure it's not 'cidery' that you taste, from too muuch table sugar?
Not table sugar at all.

ingredients where:
Amber LME
Chocolate
Crystal 40+80 (they run out of 60 so I got 50/50 mix to get to brew that day)
carapils
hops: fuggles, ekg
yeast: safale S-04

I don't have here the quantities though...

thanks!
JP

I'd bet oxidation.

You mentioned wine-like flavor which leads me to believe you are tasting the sherry-like flavor associated with letting the wort get exposed to too much oxygen somewhere in your process. During racking, bottling, etc, it is easy to get this if not extremely careful.

Would you also say it is a wet cardboard taste/smell as well?

Dude said:
I'd bet oxidation.

You mentioned wine-like flavor which leads me to believe you are tasting the sherry-like flavor associated with letting the wort get exposed to too much oxygen somewhere in your process. During racking, bottling, etc, it is easy to get this if not extremely careful.

Would you also say it is a wet cardboard taste/smell as well?
mmm.
I didn't get to that taste yet... if it is this, it'll probably develope over the next weeks.
this was on the primary for one week and now it is in the secondary. I noted the flavor at racking (after measuring gravity I usually drink the sample)...

this is my first brew where I steeped chocolate malt... that was my original question...

One thing I remember doing is dumpling 2 gal of cold sanitized water on the hot wort to cool it down quickly. I usually do a full boil and use an inmersion cooler, but this time I went for a partial boil (why? I don;t know :confused: ) and then added water. then syphoned out of the kettle instead of pouring as usuall...

well... time will tell. if it is contaminaiton or oxidation it will only get worse with time, right?

thanks!

Back