Wine Yeast in conjunction with beer yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBroBrews

Reaction score
I want to brew a beer using a combination of wine yeast and beer yeast. The end results I want rather dry & crisp, fruity on the nose with hints of pineapple and black pepper.

I will most likely be using the following grain and hops, pilsner malt, wheat malt, flaked wheat, cane sugar & Saaz in generous amounts.

What type of wine yeast would go best with this?

I was considering using Wyeast 3724 for the beer yeast but open to suggestions on what would work better.

Is there any hidden steps that I need to be aware of when using a wine yeast in a beer and in conjunction with a beer yeast?

I have not read people getting good results from using wine yeast, so I wouldn't use it. Plus if you mash low and ferment correctly 3724 will give you a dry beer.

Beer_Eugenics said:
I have not read people getting good results from using wine yeast, so I wouldn't use it. Plus if you mash low and ferment correctly 3724 will give you a dry beer.

Hmm I'm looking to get specifuc results using the wine yeast, and FYI there are plenty of examples of wine yeast being successfully used in beer brewing, one for example is

NZ's Moa breweries, they use champagne yeast for some of their beers.

Prairie Artisan ales in Tulsa - they use a wine yeast in their Saison Ale

There's just two for an example from different parts of the globe, so I'm sure someone out there might have a idea on which wine yeast would be best for brewing with beer.

Most wine yeasts aren't a good choice for fermenting wort because they will not ferment the long chain sugars. Most are not a good choice for mixing with beer yeast because most wine yeasts create an enzyme that kills other yeast. There is one strain that you can use from lallemand, the details of which escape me. I know I've seen threads covering this before, look for those. I'd also recommend listening to the episode of the Sunday Session from a few years ago with Shae (sp?) from Lallemand. He talks about this in detail and also has some good info on wood aging.

So my question is how will
Amalyse enzyme affect a beer.

Basically I am wanting to brew a Saison with a combination of wine yeast and beer yeast for a different taste texture and smell however I don't want to brew the beer pitch the yeast with the amalyse enzyme then find out I just ruined the whole batch.

How do I use a wine yeast in combination with a beer yeast? Should I split the batch add amalyse enzyme and wine yeast to one and then the beer yeast to the other then combine at bottling? Or is there a step that I can take to pitch them both in the same batch.

I think you are going to have to be the pioneer of wine yeast use in beer for the Homebrewtalk community. I personally find that trying to incorporate wine yeast with beer sounds fun. I did some research and did not find much info. From what I understand Moa brewery only uses Champaign yeast for bottle conditioning and as for Prairie Artisan they just mention they use both but not how, maybe give them a call and see if they are willing to help you. If I were to do it though I would split the batch, maybe two gallons wine three gallons beer so you can be more consistent with future batches. Hopefully someone with experience can give you better info.

Also here is The Sunday Session with Shea audio, starts at about 39 minutes in.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Sunday-Session/The-Sunday-Session-11-23-08-Shea-Comfort

Latest posts

Back