Wine question - Pulp versus foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman_ii

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time making wine since I made it in high school with hawaiian punch fruit juicy red 40 years ago...

My blackberry wine is deep into primary fermentation. I ran the mascerated blackberrys through the "fruit and vegitable strainer" attachment on my Kitchenaid stand mixer to remove MOST of the pulp, but there was still some. It formed a cap which I have been punching down 2-3 times a day for the past 3 days... the cap has been getting thinner as the pulp is settling out in the conical fermenter (7.9G Fastferment). but it still seems to be present (or maybe it's just foam, hard to tell)

The question I have is, after primary fermentation, is it normal for there to be foam? Not a cap, but just foam, and does the foam need to be regularly mixed into the must? I know that with a cap, if you let it get dry, it can become a breeding ground for bacteria because the alchohol in the liquid isn't in the dry cap to prevent growth. But can a build up of foam create the same problem? I have to travel for next week starting on Sunday and was hoping that I could just button up everything topped with a water lock, and let it "cruise" for the week in secondary while I was out of town, assuming of course it doesn't need to be stirred every day.

Can "dryish" foam create a breeding ground for bad things that ruin the batch?

Latest posts

Back