Wine from homegrown grapes....Beta and Swanson Red....newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny P

Reaction score
I have both Beta grapes and Swanson Red grapes growing here, both of these are in the same family as concord grapes (I think). I finished picking today, and am not sure how I should proceed. I am not finding much information on either one of these.
I have 21 pounds of Beta grapes cleaned and frozen Plus 21 pounds of Swenson Red grapes again cleaned and frozen.
I guess my questions are, should I make 2 separate wines? Or combine them for a single? I am new to wine making and don't know how these work or taste.
If I decide to make two separate wines, about how many pounds of grapes per gallon should I work on? ( I need to purchase secondary fermentors for these and am not sure what size to go with)
What type of yeast?
Do I start with these like I did the chokecherries? Mash, add water, measure SG, add sugar to the correct SG?

Hi Jenny

You're probably not going to want to add water since that will only dilute the flavors. I haven't made wine with either of those grapes, however. Beta wine can run high for acid but has a deep flavor, as I recall. The Swenson grapes tend to be fruit and light.

If you have enough equipment for two batches then you may want to keep them separate for now and consider blending later if you like the combo.

If you ferment on skin and are able to press the fermented must efficiently you can get upwards of 1 gallon per 13#of grapes, depending on the relative amount of skin/seed volume for the grape size. Realistically you can expect to use 16# per gallon.

You may want to find a tutorial to guide you the first time through. To get started... you'll need to crush (don't puree) the grapes and remove the stems. Adjust the sugar to 21brix, 1.09 SG. Be sure to add sulfites to kill off native yeasties.

Hi Jenny

You're probably not going to want to add water since that will only dilute the flavors. I haven't made wine with either of those grapes, however. Beta wine can run high for acid but has a deep flavor, as I recall. The Swenson grapes tend to be fruit and light.

If you have enough equipment for two batches then you may want to keep them separate for now and consider blending later if you like the combo.

If you ferment on skin and are able to press the fermented must efficiently you can get upwards of 1 gallon per 13#of grapes, depending on the relative amount of skin/seed volume for the grape size. Realistically you can expect to use 16# per gallon.

You may want to find a tutorial to guide you the first time through. To get started... you'll need to crush (don't puree) the grapes and remove the stems. Adjust the sugar to 21brix, 1.09 SG. Be sure to add sulfites to kill off native yeasties.
Thank you! I think the guy (my hubby) that told me what varieties he planted 20 years ago (from memory) was wrong. I KNOW the one arbor are Beta. That was the first one we planted. But the one that he said were the Swenson Red.....well they look exactly like the Beta! In looking at images of the Swenson Red grape these were much darker. So now he says they might be Fredonia..or maybe Valient. LOL!

Anyway, I decided I think I am going to blend them. It turns out I added wrong, I only have 10 pounds of the Beta and then 21 pounds of the other one. So basically enough for 2 gallons.......but I have a 3-gallon carboy, and 2 one gallon jugs left open. I know I could do 2 one gallon jugs. But I was thinking (as pressing apples today) that maybe I could make up the last gallon with Apple Juice (freshly pressed) What do you guys think?

The grapes were destemmed then frozen and are thawing now when they are thawed I will take a look at them. IF they are still whole I think I will use my cider press and press them. Then put the juice and the pulp into the primary fermentor.

This will be batch #5 of wine for me, plus I put up 2 types of cider today 3 gallons of Apfelwein and a gallon of a recipe for sweet 5-day cider and I think I am getting into the routine.

Latest posts

Back