Wine bottles (with screw on lid)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy77

Reaction score
Wondering if you all use wine bottles that had screw on lids for bottling your wine using corks? I have about a dozen that were given to me, but want to make sure the stress from the corks on the bottle necks won't crack the bottles. Thanks in advance!

I used them for a couple small batches, stopped after pulling the first cork. The threads cracked from the pressure and shattered from the corkscrew. Not worth the risk of drinking broken glass, IMO.

Wondering if you all use wine bottles that had screw on lids for bottling your wine using corks? I have about a dozen that were given to me, but want to make sure the stress from the corks on the bottle necks won't crack the bottles. Thanks in advance!

I have tried a few times and I also had issues with the threads cracking and microcracks around the neck. Now I do reuse twist off bottles but i reuse the screw top as well and dont cork them.

Back