Wine/Beverage Cooler Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimkid11

Reaction score
Part 1 of 3

After doing extensive research regarding kegerator builds I came to several conclusions:
1. I did not want to have to go to the garage to get a beer so a large refrigerator or keezer was not going to work for me. Having no SWMBO to contend with, the living room was ideal placement for my kegerator, so a mini-fridge build would need to be done.

2. No adequate used models that did not pose significant problems could be found locally, so a new refrigeration unit would be required. The suggested Danby unit was not cheap and still required extensive internal modification, and was also not available locally and I really did not want to have one shipped.

3. It is almost impossible to find a 4.4-5 cubic foot mini-fridge that does not have a freezer unit or internal door units

ENTER THE WINE AND BEVERAGE COOLER
While many of these devices are rather pricey (as they are designed to showcase their contents) there are a few reasonably priced models that are in the same price range as a decent mini fridge. The advantage is that they do not require door modifications and do not have freezers. Furthermore, they are designed to maximize internal storage capacity, so many use slim controls. After looking at several models I came across the TRAMONTINA 80901/502DS, which was available at a nationally known big-box wholesaler headquartered in Northwest Arkansas (and to which I have a membership).
I did more online research to see if I could find examples of homebrewers using this model, and to my surprise (because it seems that many of our ingenious homebrew inventions have left nothing new under the sun), I could find no examples. I placed a call to their customer service line, explained my plans, and that I intended on voiding the warranty on day one after purchase. After being put in touch with a Texas based engineer was assured that there were NO coolant lines in the top of the unit, and they followed up by email with a technical drawing showing the placement of the electrical wires for the internal LED light.
The one problem with this model is that like most of its brethren, and unlike the mini-fridges, it does not have a plastic top that can be removed an internally reinforced for the tower. This necessitated building a finished “counter top” for the unit. The instructions for this build are below:

1. Construct a reinforcing top for the unit. I utilized a finished piece of ¾” furniture grade finished craft pine board from a building supply store. Cut the board to 20 ½” wide and 21” deep. This sizing allows for the door to close beneath the top. The unit has a hinge on the right side that would interfere so I traced a template and routed out the space for the hinge cover to a ½” depth

RoutedTOP.jpg
Wooden Top with space for door hinge routed

2. This step is where the technical diagram came in handy. I did not want to accidentally drill through the wires that supplied electrical power to the flush mounted internal LED light. I also knew that I wanted my 5lb CO2 tank to be placed on the “shelf” in the rear created by the space for the compressor; that I needed clearance for the regulator and tank valve; and I wanted minimal interference with the opening for the tower so that I could add a tower chiller at a later date if necessary. I cut a 3” diameter hole in the top of the unit and the wooden top. As the wooden top is exactly the same size as the top of the unit, the follow measurements apply to both (cutting them together exceeded the depth capacity of the hole saw. The center of the hole should be placed 10 1/8” from the left and right sides, 12 5/8” from the front (include the door on the unit) and 8 3/8” from the rear of the unit.

wiring diagram.png
Wiring Diagram from Tramontina

Top with measurement.JPG
Drilling template with measurement

top drilled.JPG
Drilled Unit Top

internal hole.JPG
Interior Hole, flush mount led light visible

top drilled no tape.JPG
Drilled Top with template removed

counter hole.JPG
Wooden top drilled, on top of unit

Continued in next post....

Part 2 of 3

3. The wooden top will need to be sealed with polyurethane at a minimum, but I was going for a different look, so I used a polystain to seal, tiled with pennies and then glaze coated the top. Building up the glaze coat took several days due to drying time.

counter poly.JPG
Mahogany Stain and Polyurethane

tiling pennies.jpg
Applying the pennies

Glaze 1.jpg
Glaze Coating 1

Glaze 2.jpg
Glaze coating 2

Glaze 3.jpg
Glaze coating 3

4. After the top was complete I measured for the attachment holes for the tower and drilled the top first, then used those holes as guides to drill in the top of the unit.

5. I also wanted rails on the sides of the top, and kitchen drawer pulls served me well here. I determined placement, dilled for the screws and then countersunk the holes on the bottom, so the screw heads would not interfere with attachment of the wooden top to the fridge with adhesive.

top with rails.JPG
Glazed Top with rails, fit check on unit

6. Waterproof the insulation in the top of the fridge with aluminium duct work tape ensuring a good airtight and watertight seal.

aluminum taping.JPG
Applying aluminium tape

7. Attach the wooden top to the unit with construction adhesive. Once this was complete I also waterproofed the interior of the top, with aluminium tape to ensure no condensation would build between the counter top and the metal top of the unit.

gluing.JPG
Construction Adhesive Application

Continued below

PART 3 of 3

8. Instead of building a fan unit to chill the tower I elected to utilize the conductive properties of copper tubing to chill my beer lines. I braised 2 11” lengths of ½” OD copper tubing to the crosspiece of 2 copper T connectors. A 3” piece was then braised to the leg of the T on each assembly. The long side of the assembled unit is passed through the opening and secured to the inside top of the unit using a conduit bracket, screws, and self-tapping drywall plugs. The internal pieces of copper serve as a cool sink to conduct coolness into the tower. If I decide to add an internal fan assembly at a later date, tubing can be attached to the internal 3” leg to blow cool air into the copper. I feel that this design will also minimize “sweating” on the exterior of a the tower if it was simply cooled by forced air being fed into it from a fan.

copper tubes inside1.JPG
Copper tubes attached inside unit

copper tubes through.JPG
Copper tubes into tower

9. Completely disassemble the beer tower Attach the tower to the top of the unit according to the manufacturer’s directions. Feed the beerlines through the vertical section of the copper tubing and connect all disassembled portions of the tower.

copper tubes with lines.JPG
Copper tubes with beer lines

10. I saved the 3” diameter foam plug from drilling out the hole in the unit, shaved it down and sculpted it into a thicker insulation piece to fit in the top of the tower. Once this was done it was wrapped in aluminium tape for water proofing.

insulated top 1.JPG
Extra Insulation for Tower Top

insulated top 2.JPG
Extra Insulation for Tower Top

11. I placed all beer lines, kegs, and CO2 tank and regular into the unit to ensure fitment and then while holding the CO2 tank in place, removed the kegs and marked around the bottom of the tank on the inside of the unit. Adhesive backed industrial strength hook and loop fastener was placed on the bottom of the tank and the marked area of the unit to help secure the tank in place.

12. The dual valve C02 splitter was attached to the wall of the unit in the same manner. The shape of the bracket, neatly fit the plastic guides for the shelving.

13. CO2 line were run, line management performed and the unit tested for C02 leaks.

internal line mgmt.JPG
Completed Interior, no kegs, splitter valve on back left

14. Unfortunately, ALL my drinkable beer is currently in bottles and it will be several more weeks before my two lagers are ready to keg, so I elected to wet test the system with a keg of water and one keg with koolaid that I carbonated.

The COMPLETED UNIT
completed unit 1.JPG
compelted unit 2.JPG
completed unit 3.JPG
completed unit 4.JPG

Nice build! really dig that you can see thru the door, should wrap the kegs or something cool.

Cool idea with the bartop design using pennies.

By the way, if anyone else wants to do something similar, I can hook you up with fifty of those for only a dollar!
(local pick up only)

thanks for the information...

I have been looking at this same cooler for a few months and just worried about the wires running through the middle where I would want to drill ...

after your review I'm going out and getting this and building my kegerator this weekend.

thanks again for the review and how to..

Back