Wine + beer bottles + cork-lined caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

declanhalpin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a long time beer brewer, about to bottle my first wine (Old Vine Zin). I plan to put at least SOME in 12 oz beer bottles for smaller portions. I just ordered some cork-lined caps with this in mind. Does anyone have any experience with these? Should I lay them down to keep the cork damp?

Thanks!

dh

I'm making some apple wine now, and the lady at the LHBS says I can put it in regular old 22 oz beer bottles and it will be fine. I don't think you need the cork lined caps...

I'm pretty sure that cork caps are a gimmick. With that said, yes, after capping, leave the bottles upright for a few days to equalize the pressures. Then keep the caps damp by leaving the bottles on their side.

I hope it works! :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Your cork lined caps should seal when you cap them, no need to let the equalize as they are sealed like a beer bottle. We have used regular oxygen barrier caps before with great results. Go back to your beer experience, if you have made a beer and aged some, or found an old bottle that was still good, you know beer caps are just fine for long term beer and wine is less prone to being spoiled than beer. Laying on the sides is only for real corks, there are also tasting corks with a cork glued to a plastic cap, these are not for storing wine very long. I would be more concerned that over time the cork lining would break down in the cap and get into the wine, but werent old time caps lined with cork ages ago? WVMJ

Your cork lined caps should seal when you cap them, no need to let the equalize as they are sealed like a beer bottle. We have used regular oxygen barrier caps before with great results. Go back to your beer experience, if you have made a beer and aged some, or found an old bottle that was still good, you know beer caps are just fine for long term beer and wine is less prone to being spoiled than beer. Laying on the sides is only for real corks, there are also tasting corks with a cork glued to a plastic cap, these are not for storing wine very long. I would be more concerned that over time the cork lining would break down in the cap and get into the wine, but werent old time caps lined with cork ages ago? WVMJ

I guess that means I'm getting old!! I remember cork lined caps on soda pop bottles when I was a kid.

Back