Wine Barrel Lambic Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it certain that La Folie, in the new package, is filtered and/or pasteurized? I've used a 07 bottles' dregs to bump up my Roselare fermented Oud Bruin, and it's doing quite well.
Well I have heard it from several sources one quoting New Belgium. I have a bottle of it now and when I put it up to the light I can't see any settlement in the bottom.

Here's to one week till brewday (well setup at least...)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I picked up the special order of 5 packs of Wyeast lambic blend at the LHBS yesterday.

Oh, and for what its worth, I have never seen fresher yeast packs. I picked them up yesterday, 10/1. Look at the Mfg date:

photo.jpg

Make plans to come for the second lambic brewday in about a half a year.
Is this just to top up the barrel or are you starting a second one? I just checked my Flanders Red and Lambic barrels last night and even though they have only been in the barrels for about 4 moths they are probably down 1-2 gallons.

With the new work schedules it is almost impossible for me to plan anything. I was planning on coming to this one but now I can't.

Is this just to top up the barrel or are you starting a second one? I just checked my Flanders Red and Lambic barrels last night and even though they have only been in the barrels for about 4 moths they are probably down 1-2 gallons.

the plan is to drain off 30G next october... and make 30 more to top it on!

I was multi tasking when I posted that, had to correct from half year to full year.

We are taking about 30 gallons out after a year, and topping up with fresh wort. So the second brewday is to make the new wort.

After the second year, we are doing the same again, taking half out and topping up. After the third year, we are doing a full drain.

I imagine we will when we add the fresh wort. I think the rule of thumb is 10% per year, right?
I'm not sure, but I assume it depends on the barrel and the level of humidity where it is stored. I was suprised at how much it was down after only 4 months.

where's the pics? I couldnt be there...but at least my keggle and burner have met the crew....one day I will LOL.

It's about time LOL....how many hours has it been? ive been following on twitter, its like being there (not really)

hey guys... bad news... i just took a sample! I think its infected :'(

Isn't that normal at this stage in the fermentation? I seem to remember reading in Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow that at certain stages of the fermentation there will be different concentrations of various 'bugs', some of which are quite unpleasant. I've never made a lambic, so I may be way off base here. Just going by what I've read, I would let let it go for a full year and see how it tastes then. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Hopefully everything is still good :mug:

I would hope it would be pretty good after 5 months. What kind of off smell/taste is there? Vinegar? Floor cleaner?

Back