Wine and Champagne Yeast in Mostly All Grain Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinchef_fairfax

Reaction score
Ok, ok... I know... Those yeasts don't do well with malt sugars...
Ok, ok... I know... You're not supposed to brew while really drunk...
Ok, ok... I know... Lazy people who are drunk and brew a batch only to realize that they don't have the proper yeast on hand will do impulsive things like pitch a wine yeast in their wort...
Ok, ok... I know... Those same drunk people might decide that using 3 bags of wine yeast might also be a good idea.
Ok, ok... I know... Those same people might decide in their drunken stupor that it would be really neat to combine two different types of yeast in their wort - just for experiment's sake.. 2 bags of Montrachet and 1 bag of Champagne

So yes - all of the above happened. And I'm not the least bit mad about it. I has been 3 days and the beer is still bubbling away.

It consisted of a bunch of leftovers... 60 minute boil
Approx 12lbs of Belgian Pale Ale malt - mashed for 60 @145
2 lbs of Caramel 60/80 and 8oz of Chocolate Malt - steeped and then poured into the boil
2 lbs of golden light DME @25
Some crappy old kent hops for bittering - 1oz @30
And a fresh bag of Willamette @5

I plan to primary for 30 days and secondary for 60 to 90. It has a great color. We'll just have to wait and see what happens in the long run...

I am curious to know what percentage of the sugars extracted during the mash process and or converted during the boil are simple sugars.. The yeast is eating something in their!!!

Back