Windowless Cellar Cooling Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmo

Reaction score
I have a finished basement with a storage area that's about 45sf and 350cf. I'd like to cool that area to cellar temps (I can live with 62, but would prefer 58). The basement windows are just too far way to duct to. I can vent into the basement or the stairwell up to the rest of the house, which are independently air conditioned. In the summer, we keep the basement in the mid 70s (I'm in Az). At most, I'd be chilling this tiny area down 15 degrees from the ambient temp. Let's just assume the area is well insulated.

I was told by a handy man that a window unit would run too hot. He suggested a portable unit. A person at Lowe's said that the vent on the portable units needs to be run to a window and that it too would be too hot. I'm trying to keep the cost of the cooling system in the neighborhood of $300, so a split system is kind of out of the question.

Anyone have any unique suggests or disagree with the peeps I've talked to?

I agree with the people you talked to, actually.
Both units will heat up the air around your chamber, probably more than you want. The portable units usually also have condensation containers that need to be emptied on a regular basis. Some do evaporate the condensation into the exhaust though, but that's something that you need to look for when you're buying.

Essentially though, you can probably buy one and run the exhaust into the rest of the room as a test. If it's too much for you, you could always take it back. I think your ideal solution would be to figure out a way to duct the exhaust outside. The ducts on the portable ones are about the same size as a dryer's exhaust hose.

Back