Willamette single hop IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
anyone else done an all Willamette brew?

I did a partigyle IIPA/IPA recently, the IPA being single hopped w/ willamette.

The IIPA is fantastic, but there's an odd taste to the Willy IPA. Not bad, just verry different. One friend called i grassy. I know Willamette is sometimes described as EArthy, so maybe that's what's coming through.

hopped it like this
1 oz @ 90 (trying to pull some IBU's... maybe this was the mistake)
1 oz @ 45
1 oz @ 30
1 oz @ 20
1 oz @ 15
1 oz @ 10
1 oz @ 5
1 oz @ 0
1 oz dryhopped for 10 days.

seems like a bunch of hops. nevertheless I have been wanting to do an IPA with willamette. I was thinking of using other hops in conjunction. How would you describe the aroma/flavor. Other than grassy.

This is for a 5 gallon batch? No wonder a friend called it grassy. Youre using 9oz of hops. It's gonna taste vegetal

I've made an all Willamette ipa once... used 8oz and it had a very weird bitterness/flavor. Not a good brew. Won't be making that one again!

My ESB is all Willamette and it is definitely a strange hop, kind of tastes like you are chewing on the root of a tree.

Ya, did an ESB w/ Williamette and did an emphasis on late hop additions for the majority of the IBU's. After 3 weeks in the bottle, had a very weird almost prune juice/earthy taste to it. Actually dumped the bottle I was drinking. It has now been about 6 weeks in the bottle and tasty.

I would never do another beer w/ emphasis on Williamette. Defninetly needs something else to go w/ it.

Yeah that sounds like a weird tasting IPA. I have done and IPA using only columbus that turned out very nice. Great for bittering, aroma, and awesome for dry hopping too. 7lbs of pale malt extract, 1lb crystal, and hop to your liking.

Earlier this year I did an ale with all Willamette and liked it a lot. Maybe 35 IBUs, some late, but no dry hopping.

I brewed what was supposed to be an esb but ended up being a special bitter with about 3.5 oz of williamette for a 3 gal batch. It is earthy but in a good way. Very drinkable.

Back