Will you miss the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r4dyce

Reaction score
As I peruse my local beer shop I've noticed more and more craft Brewers are going with cans over bottles. I get the reasons: cheaper, lighter, more recyclable, blocks all light. My question is will you miss the bottle as it seems like it's becoming rapidly rare in the craft world? I know it's just in my head, but there's just something different to me about a can that makes it feel lower quality.

May I ask why? Just curious.

most of the breweries I like here can, and it’s way easier to travel with cans. Then you can crush them, and it’s less volume of waste to remove (especially fishing and cook-outs).

Also prefer cans but like to buy bottles once in a while to keep the homebrew stock fresh.

i prefer cans, its the ideal environment for beer, no chance of light, no chance of oxygen sneaking in through a bottle cap, lightweight, flavour neutral, and in my opinion the perfect vessel for beer.
as a home brewer i use bottles and growlers simply cause i don't have the means to can, but if i could... i would

Prefer cans. They chill faster, block light, I can take them to parks and beaches where glass is taboo. I have more bottles than I can possibly use for brewing, and recently gave many of them away.

But there was a time when bottle vs. can was the tie-breaker for me when buying beer.

For all the reasons stated above, I lean toward preferring cans.
I don't bottle much anymore, so I won't miss them for that. I have about 8 cases of empties in reserve that should last me years.

I haven’t noticed this change. Maybe things move slowly around here. Maybe it’s because my preferred breweries don’t happen to use cans (as far as I know), anyways.

I think Surly was the trailblazer for craft brew in cans around here. I remember seeing their canned beers 9 or 10 years ago and thinking they stood out, when almost all the non-BMC beers were bottled. Now, many of the locals are canning their beers. Even the stalwart Summit now packages their beers in cans.

high carbonated hoppy brews seem to work in a can - but I'll take a bottle every time - cans have a taste I can't describe - and bottles I can re-use so feel less guilty about drinking someone else's (expensive) beer

I'll take my kick at the dead horse: bottles. Whether or not it can be proven, my brain tells me beer taste better from a bottle than a can. Again, that's my brain.

I prefer drinking out of glass. Just my preference. If I buy cans, it gets poured into a glass. If I buy bottles, it gets drank out of the bottle.

I live in a redemption state, so I much prefer cans. Just for the sheer weight of it.

There is nothing better than sitting in a lawn chair with a kiddie pool full of cans of beer surrounded by pink flamingos on a hot summer day! The best part is when you are done you can crush the can in your hand like stone cold Steve Austin! Just kidding but I do prefer cans. They are cheaper and easier to ship also.

I like bottles better, but if it goes to cans I will still buy some craft beers. This switch to cans might make me brew more so that I don't have to make the decision. Besides I like my beers as much or better than most commercial craft beers.

Think I might need to get about 50 more bottles in my inventory though!!

I too, think I get a slight metallic taste from cans. It may be in my head but there I am.

There are some breweries using special cans as well that are actually meant to drink directly out of. They've had the grab and opening specially designed for aroma and such. They actually prefer you drink from the can than pour into a glass. Whereas in almost all cases with bottles you are better served to pour into a glass to get the full effect.

Edit: I think it was these kind of cans I was thinking of https://www.crowncork.com/news/press-room/sly-fox-beer-opens-flavor-and-aroma-crowns-360-end

It's like the age-old debate between cask and kegs - there are some styles that work better with force-carbonated cans, and others that work with bottle conditioning. I know one brewery that has moved over to cans apart from for their stout, even though it would be much more convenient to run it through their high-tech canning line. They're just not happy with the carbonation of it in a can. Having tried it or variations in cask, keg, bottle and can, I can confirm that bottle seems to suit it best.

Hoppy US styles suit the higher carbonation of a can, but British styles tend to work better with bottle conditioning.

It's like the age-old debate between cask and kegs - there are some styles that work better with force-carbonated cans, and others that work with bottle conditioning. I know one brewery that has moved over to cans apart from for their stout, even though it would be much more convenient to run it through their high-tech canning line. They're just not happy with the carbonation of it in a can. Having tried it or variations in cask, keg, bottle and can, I can confirm that bottle seems to suit it best.

Hoppy US styles suit the higher carbonation of a can, but British styles tend to work better with bottle conditioning.
Hm, interesting. What's the reason they can't get the carb right in the can? Not doubting you, just curious about the logistics.

I remember reading that the pressure in the bottle is pretty high before the beer absorbs the carbonation. Maybe the can won't take that pressure. But all of that is rumors and guesses.

Hm, interesting. What's the reason they can't get the carb right in the can? Not doubting you, just curious about the logistics.

The bubbles from CO2 force carbonation are too big, whereas you get a finer mousse from either bottle/cask conditioning or [N2+CO2] carbonation (like Guinness). Think of the difference between Coke or cheap sparkling wine (force carbed) versus the fine mousse you get from "proper" méthode champenoise (ie bottle conditioned) wines like Champagne. If you ever get to taste sparkling wine blind, the bubble size is the single most reliable guide to which is the expensive stuff, and it makes a huge difference to mouthfeel and the way that flavours reach your mouth and nose.

Most canning setups aren't set up for nitrogen blends, so this brewery was playing with additives to see if they could stabilise the CO2 into "small" bubbles", but their feeling was that they would probably have to adapt their canning line to work with nitrogen to deliver the stout in the way that they wanted it. I got the impression that was a significant cost (and more importantly a lot of fiddling-around time) for what was just one of their smaller-selling lines, but it seems to be one that they have a particular fondness for and so want to present in the best state possible.

When I'm in a seedy bar and the big guy married to the woman I was dancing with is picking me up by my neck and I try to go upside his head with an empty beer can ...

that's when I will miss the bottle.

Back