Will time make it better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum and finally back to brewing again after 10 years of...data gathering (drinking craft beer from the fine breweries in the NW).

My 5 gallon batch of IPA (Diamond Knot kit from Homebrew Heaven, http://store.homebrewheaven.com/shared/StoreFront/product_detail.asp?RowID=331&CS=hombre&All= is currently corny kegged. It's been refrigerated and carbing for 2 days now. It smells great, but tastes.....undone....... a bit cloudy and doughy.

I wonder if my lack of patience hurt the brew.

7 days of primary, lots of sludge left behind.
7 days of secondary, sludge left behind.

Will this beer improve in the carbonated, refrigerated corney keg?
Is what I describe a recognizable trait of beer that wasn't "aged" in the secondary long enough?

Thanks.

How long has it been carbonating/conditioning? Patience is so hard sometimes!

:off:
Diamond Knot has some pretty tasty beers! Which reminds me I'll have to hit it up on my Christmas trip to the PNW! :mug:

I've found that really hoppy beers take a little time too mellow out, especially if there is a lot of high alpha acid hops being used. That said a 14 day turn around is also super fast. I'm normally in the primary for 2 weeks and the secondary for and additional 1 to 2 assuming around 68 degrees and a 1.050+ starting gravity.

It needed to condition at least 2-3 more weeks at fermentation temp

it should improve with time and cold crashing

and yes it does sound like a beer that's still green

Darn it. I didn't think about cold crashing in the carboy prior to kegging.
I think I'll start another batch, but do the 2 weeks primary / 2 weeks (min) secondary followed by cold crash and kegging. Also, I won't be using the hop pellets that came with the kit for dry hopping. I don't mind a little hops in my beer, but a layer of green dust? I'll use whole hops instead. ;-)

I'd agree. Pull it out, warm it up and let it condition for 3-4 weeks.

Is that doable? What will I be doing then?

Will this allow the yeats to "clean up"?
Will the yeast even come back to life after being 38deg for 48hrs?

Thanks for the responses guys.

As an alternative you could just take it off the gas and leave it in the fridge to cold condition for a few weeks. This will help clear it up and should finish up the rough edges.

Taking it back out won't hurt it at all. It will help it condition quicker. It's totally up to you.

As far as dry hopping with pellets, cold crashing secondary will make them fall out, then rack it to the keg.

Back