Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcbandit

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon water cooler I plan on making a mash tun out of but for now I was just going to throw a bag in it for BIAB. This gave me an idea could I just have a piece of 1/2inch tubing go in the bottom angle it at a 45 and tie the mesh to the tubing. Would this work?

Is your intent to create a Mash Tun without a false bottom? I am assuming so since you mention mesh differently from the bag.

If so, I think that weight of the bag (with the grains would smother the mesh. You would need to have the bag stand-off the bottom so the wort could flow freely.

I'm with brewkinger though, I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve--or save from doing here. If you can elaborate, I'm sure one of us could offer some advice.

Cheers-

I don't really understand either. You don't need to suspend the bag for the mash. When the mash is done lift the bag a bit while you are draining the tun.

I didn't fully understand what the purpose of the false bottom was. Daryl figured it out thanks everyone for being so willing to help!

Back