Will this work? "Kitchen Sink" Blue Moon Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
Wife requested a Blue Moon (styled) beer for the weekend brew project. So I check my supplies and quite short on some of the more traditional ingredients I call my Blue Moon Clone. This is no clone, nor do I want to consider it one for obvious reasons. I just want to make a darn nice beer and use the ingredients I have on hand as the LHBS is a 4 hour round trip. My post regards help to find any real issues with multiple "Kitchen Sink" substitutions.

For a 5.5G batch

I have wheat and pale malts...all good here.

Flaked Oats...I am out. I propose to use 1# of Quaker Quick Cooking Rolled Oats as a substitute.

Orange peel, dried...good here

Yeast....US-05 on hand

Coriander none but I use Grains of Paradise anyway.

No Hallertau but have Tettnanger 4.7AA instead. Target 15 IBU

......Quick Cooking Oats instead of Flaked Oats, Tettnanger hops and US-05 for a yeast? Think this will make something decent?

Using US-O5 it will be more of a Wit/AmericanWheat hybrid but should still be great.

Consider 60:40 (or so) wheat to pale, your oats on hand, then

Don't sweat
Your oats & Tett
Mash it with class
Then fill your glass

Using US-O5 it will be more of a Wit/AmericanWheat hybrid but should still be great.

Consider 60:40 (or so) wheat to pale, your oats on hand, then

Don't sweat
Your oats & Tett
Mash it with class
Then fill your glass

Thank you my friend. I think this will give me a drinkable brew considering what I am scraping up from the bottom of my supply locker. I had figured on 50:50 wheat to pale, but I am willing to try your suggestion of 60:40 then the quick cooking Quaker rolled oats. After all, I am hitting the bottom of the supply barrel so to speak. Heck, this might be the best darned brew I ever made......LOL

Back