Will this work for an Oktoberfest? What can I do to change it if not.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdrollason

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe: James' Rocktoberfest
Brewer: James
Asst Brewer:
Style: Oktoberfest/Marzen
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.70 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 7.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Munich II (Weyermann) (8.5 SRM) Grain 45.45 %
3.00 lb Pilsen Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Grain 27.27 %
3.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 27.27 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 12.5 IBU
0.75 oz Spalter [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 11.7 IBU

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 13.75 qt of water at 129.3 F 122.0 F
45 min Saccharification Heat to 154.0 F over 15 min 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F

I would decoct, but I am running short of time and am pretty busy for the next couple of weeks. Any suggestions or remediation with explanation would be great as this is my first recipe try. Thanks

Is the Protein rest really needed for modern malt? I know it won't hurt anything, but I was under the assumption that it's really not necessary. Otherwise I think the recipe looks close to what I've seen for an Ofest. What yeast? Yeast and fermentation schedule has a LOT to do with how a lager turns out.

Sorry for the slow response, but I will probably go with the single infusion. My plan was to use a Ofest yeast, but my LHBS did not get it in with their latest order, and since I don't want to order it an pay shipping my options are: SafLager 34/70, WYeast Pilsner, California lager, or a Bohemian.

My basement is getting me right at 50 degrees ambient air, and fermenters are reading 60 degrees, so I planned on doing that for 14 days, and then moving out to the garage where we are currently having daytime highs of the 50's and lows in the 20's, which should be pretty close to 30 degrees for the fermenter all the time. I would leave it in the garage for around 5-6 weeks as long as it does not get too warm.

Any thoughts?
Cheers.

Sorry for the slow response, but I will probably go with the single infusion. My plan was to use a Ofest yeast, but my LHBS did not get it in with their latest order, and since I don't want to order it an pay shipping my options are: SafLager 34/70, WYeast Pilsner, California lager, or a Bohemian.

My basement is getting me right at 50 degrees ambient air, and fermenters are reading 60 degrees, so I planned on doing that for 14 days, and then moving out to the garage where we are currently having daytime highs of the 50's and lows in the 20's, which should be pretty close to 30 degrees for the fermenter all the time. I would leave it in the garage for around 5-6 weeks as long as it does not get too warm.

Any thoughts?
Cheers.

Agree with twigboy2000. Stay with the single infusion unless doing a decoction mash. A second infusion step isn't going to add anything to the beer. Given those yeast choices and your temperatures I'd go with the Cal Lager aka Steam Beer yeast.

Even if you are decocting, I still wouldn't do a protein rest in this schedule. You'll be fine doing a single infusion. Protein rests are typically used with wheat/rye malts.

I decided to go with a package of SafLager 34/70, unless some people have not had much success with this yeast at 59-61 degrees, or do you think I will get some off flavors. I can always switch back to the Cal Lager or the Bohemian as long as it won't give me a different flavor characteristics of the Marzen. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back