Will this work as a no rinse sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S2005

Reaction score
The one on the left came with a Mr. Beer kit, so I'm sure it will work.

The one on the right in the red packet came from a restaurant bar. They mix it with water, and use it on glassware at the bar.

Think it will work?

20130119184244.jpg

I used to tend bar at a brewery while in college that used the same sanitizer pictured on the right for cleaning/sanitizing glassware. Of course I was brewing at the time and thought that I could use that stuff for brewing. I asked the manager if I could get a few packs and try it out for sanitizing brewing equip. I didn't have very good luck with it. Some batches turned out clean, some didn't. I decided to move on to iodine and starsan after that. Your results may vary, but that's my experience.

TB

Thanks for the reply! I think ill just order some star san.

How long will that 32oz star san last me?

S2005 said:

Star San directions say 1 oz per 5 gallons so if u figure one mixture for brew day and one for bottling day that would give you 16 batches but that is assuming you make up 5 gallons of sanitizer which is not needed IMO except for bottling day and even then you can get by with less

You don't have to use it and dump it every time. I make a 5g batch of Star San every few batches. I check the pH every time I use it to make sure the acidity is still ~3. :mug:

Ok cool. I'll order some Star San tonight, how do you test your pH level?

I use pH test strips. You can get a tube of 100 for a few bucks online or your LHBS. I know a lot of people that don't trust them, but I've never had any issues with them.

I make up 1 gallon at a time it's more than enough for brew day or bottling. I also make up 2 gallons with distilled water in a pressurized garden sprayer to use for sanitizing kegs and carboys. 32oz lasts a long time.

I'm not sure about the difference between distilled water, and tap water... and the water that comes out of the filter on my refrigerator...

My LHBS operator says use distilled water if you want to keep it around and effective. I haven't called five star but for use once and toss I use tap for storing in a sprayer I use distilled.

My LHBS operator says use distilled water if you want to keep it around and effective. I haven't called five star but for use once and toss I use tap for storing in a sprayer I use distilled.

Where does one obtain distilled water? Im guessing walmart has gallons of it?

Roger that! Thanks wurzel

I'll go pick up a few gallons of it today. Pour a tiny amount out, and add the Star San.

I wonder if Walmart has pH strips too.

Each time I keg I mix up 2 liters (Canadian sorry) with 3ml. of Starsan and it's more than enough to do everything, have a spray bottle that I change out every time I have a fresh mix, never had a problem, I like to clean everything right when I'm done using it IMO that helps the most. Doing this 2L mix I've had a 32oz bottle for a year and I still have 28 oz left.

Roger that! Thanks wurzel

I'll go pick up a few gallons of it today. Pour a tiny amount out, and add the Star San.

I wonder if Walmart has pH strips too.

No need to pour out any of the distilled water. you only need 6ml of starsan per gallon. plenty of room in the jug.

Back