Will this work as a mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mm1473

Reaction score
I inherited this "flour mill" called Mil-Rite. It looks like it is a 1/4hp motorized corona mill. Will this work to mill grain or do I just need to start making a lot of bread?? Thanks in advance

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

Can you adjust it at all? We just have pics of a electric motor :drunk:

Throw some grain in and see what comes out the other side.

If it is not adjustable to grind a lot less fine than flour it will probably not work for brewing. Pics of the grinding part might help. Maybe even partly disassembled.

I think the grinding part is the two porrus looking plates to the right of the first picture. and the hole in the top is where you'd put your funnel or hopper.If you can remove the outer plate and put a washer or two in between them before tightening them back up, I think you might be in luck. You want a larger gap than a flour mill for cracking some barley.

It looks to me that there is a knob on the front for adjusting the grindstones. I think they use the same basic design as a Corona mill (Which are supposed to be for flours too) so hopefully you can open the plates up enough to get a course crush.

Also, if you BIAB you might not mind it being a finer crush.

It looks like it is adjustable and the owners manual says it is. I have never actually seen a corona style mill in person but it looks like it functions similarly. Anyway--see if these pictures are better--sorry, the others looked a lot better on my phone than they do on the post.

Also--I dont have any grain currently. I just brewed a batch and am a little leery about ordering my next order unmilled if you guys dont think this will work.

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

2 more posts showed up since I started working on those second pictures--yes the hole on top is for the hopper--it is kind of a small hopper but I am sure I could rig something up. The hole leads to an auger which leads out to the plates. The second picture is as far as I can screw the plates out and I can get my little finger in between the plates

Also--I dont have any grain currently. I just brewed a batch and am a little leery about ordering my next order unmilled if you guys dont think this will work.

Try a little bit of barley or oatmeal from the grocery store to see if you can get the crush right.

Back