Will this much Biscuit dominate my Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goin2brew

Reaction score
Is this too much Biscuit Malt? I'm looking for the maltiness to come through without being overpowering.

OG = 1.054
IBU 25
SRM 28

9.00LB Two Row Pale (75%)
1.25LB Belgian Biscuit (10.4%)
1.00LB Crystal 60L (8.3%)
0.50LB Chocolate Malt (4.2%)
0.25LB Black Patent (2.1%)

1 OZ of Northern Brewer (6.9%) x60 mins
1 Pack Safale S-04 English Ale

I make a 6 gallon batch of brown ale that uses .75LB of Belgian Biscuit malt and it definitely gives the beer a cookie/biscuity flavour (as intended) without being too overpowering.

I'm inclined to suggest using a little less.

Brown Ale doesn't generally use Black patent like Porters and tend to use less Chocolate malt as well, so wouldn't that essentially suggest more Biscuit Malt would be tolerated?? Not saying anything negative, but I'm just trying to reason it out.

Malticulous I'd be interested in seeing your grain bill if you'd be willing to share :D

That's way too much biscuit malt for my tastes, though such a thing is subjective. Your recipe looks fine to me in terms of chocolate/black malt, though I would drop the biscuit to 5% max or just switch out the pale malt for something like Maris Otter.

Brown Ale doesn't generally use Black patent like Porters and tend to use less Chocolate malt as well, so wouldn't that essentially suggest more Biscuit Malt would be tolerated?? Not saying anything negative, but I'm just trying to reason it out.

Yeah, I would agree with you. The Black Patent probably would allow more Biscuit to be used. The only beer I've ever made that uses Biscuit Malt is the Brown Ale I made but it sure shines through.

Biscuit has this sweet bready flavor that can overpower a beer if you're not careful. I've got an APA in the keg that's got a pound of biscuit in it. It's almost all you can taste.

Maybe a porter would hold up to it better, so whichever way you go, make sure you tell us how it turns out.

I'll definitely let you know how it goes..... I just hate second guessing myself. If I were to lower the Biscuit it would be only by a quarter pound. I guess I'll stick to it and see what I get.

Latest posts

Back