Will this method of partial mashing work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godfathermg57

Reaction score
Ok I plan on doing an easy stovetop partial mashing but I don't have all the equipment used in the tutorial that's stickied. I was going to PM anyway but with a slight alteration to the process and was wondering how you guys think this will work:

1. I have an 8 gallon pot so I can do more than a 5 gallon boil (water size isnt a problem). I do NOT have a large grain bag but I do have two smaller ones that should hold 3-4 lbs of grain each.
2. I plan on heating water (1.25 qts/lb) up to strike temperature and putting both grain bags in the pot and then mashing for the requisite time.
3. Then I want to place the bags in my bottling bucket and pour a couple gallons of ~170 degree water over top for sparging. Might recirculate some of the sparge through the spigot on the bucket.
4. After 10 or so minutes I'll remove the grain bags and pour the sparge into the pot with the wort.

So will this work? And if it will what steps should I add to maybe raise the efficiency?

Ok I plan on doing an easy stovetop partial mashing but I don't have all the equipment used in the tutorial that's stickied. I was going to PM anyway but with a slight alteration to the process and was wondering how you guys think this will work:

1. I have an 8 gallon pot so I can do more than a 5 gallon boil (water size isnt a problem). I do NOT have a large grain bag but I do have two smaller ones that should hold 3-4 lbs of grain each.
2. I plan on heating water (1.25 qts/lb) up to strike temperature and putting both grain bags in the pot and then mashing for the requisite time.
3. Then I want to place the bags in my bottling bucket and pour a couple gallons of ~170 degree water over top for sparging. Might recirculate some of the sparge through the spigot on the bucket.
4. After 10 or so minutes I'll remove the grain bags and pour the sparge into the pot with the wort.

So will this work? And if it will what steps should I add to maybe raise the efficiency?

I've used a simular method. I do however have a 12 quart and a 8 quart pot additional to my 7.5 gallon pot.

I would goto the hardware store and pick up a paint strainer bag or goto the local brew shop and get one. You want as large a area as you can get to mash in the bag. You want to be able to move the grains around by stiring.

It may work with 2 smaller bags but you would get a better conversion if you got a bigger one.

I also sparge into a bottling bucket. That does work. I place the bag into a the larger of my 2 pans and let it set in 160 deg water for 5 to 10 min. I then place the bag into a large strainer over the bucket and pour the 160 deg water from the other pan over the bag with grains slowly.

I got around 80 to 82 % on my last run.

I have a Keg that I have yet to convert, but once I have that done, I'll use my 7.5 gallon pot for the sparge water.

Go to Home Depot, look for the paint sprayers, and there will be a 2-pack of five gallon paint strainer bags for like $4. They work AWSOME as grain bags. I doubled mine up just in case. I mashed in a 5 gallon bucket wrapped with a quilt for 60 minutes and only lost 1 degree during the whole time. This freed up my boil kettle to heat up the sparge water which I heated to 190 degrees and got a 170 degree sparge.

Alright sounds good. I'll go to home depot and get the strainers. I might to a test run to see if using my bucket for mashing holds temperature good too.

Latest posts

Back