Will this bottling process be alright?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelBD

Siamese Brewer
Reaction score
Ok so what I plan to do is the following:

1. add measured amounts of dextrose into each bottle
2. fill each bottle with a little bit of water
3. place the bottles into a pressure cooker
4. nuke the bottles at 20psi for 30mins
5. wait for bottles to cool overnight
6. add fermented beer

I know its overkill, but just wanted to check. I'm a germ freak and like to keep things sterile.

I guess what I'm wondering is: what will happen to the dextrose exposed to high temp/pressure? Would it caramelize? It would be easier to nuke the bottles, boil your sugar in some water to kill any nasties, then add a specific volume to each bottle, and then add your beer. It's way easier (I think) to add volumes than dry mass...too much measuring!...And the chance of spillage unless you have widemouth bottles.

Even easier would just be to do it the normal way and add the boiled water/sugar solution to the beer and bottle it in the nuked bottles immediately. I'm guessing you don't have a bottling bucket?

Yep I don't have a bottling bucket.
I bottled for the first time on my last brew just by putting it under the racking valve on my conical and then squirting in some sugar water from a syringe.

I'm just not sure how much I should use once the dextrose is mixed with water. A bit confused how I can accurately measure this.:drunk:

Any cheap food grade bucket and a $3.49 spigot. Just do it!

shopping

Well, you should get a bottling bucket for sure. But, until you do, the easy way to measure out the volume would just be to divide up the total volume of sugar water into equal parts...so if you made about 50 beers, then use 1/50th of the total solution volume for each bottle. Use this if you need help with how much sugar to use: http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php
Note: hot water has more volume than cold water...so boil your water, pour it into a measuring device, then put it back into the boiling pot after you get your total volume, and then go from there.

Back