Will this be drinkable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvess

Reaction score
BM's New Castle Clone, this is the second time that I have brewed this. I had some issues this time. My mash temp was way to high. I believe it ended up being 159-160. My yeast was dead and ended up having to use safale04 instead. It has been in the primary for 2.5 weeks. The final gravity is 1.016 instead of 1.007. Is this going to be drinkable?

Did you taste it while you were checking the FG? That would give you an indication.

Yeah, I taste my gravity samples. you'll know pretty immediately if it will be drinkable or not.

The sample did taste good. It was a little maltier than the last time. That is what I was going for. I just thought it would be lower than that. I read somewhere that too much sugar left in beer could have adverse effects on peoples stomachs.

Sounds pretty good to me!

I have an oatmeal stout that I mash high on purpose, it's "chewy" that way and it finishes at 1.018-1.022 each time. I love it.

Thanks. I am going to keg it today and will let yall know.

My yeast was dead and ended up having to use safale04 instead.

What makes you think your yeast were dead? It is pretty hard to kill yeast unless you do it on purpose. Temps above 140F is about the only thing that'll kill them!

Did you take into account that S-04 might be a lower attenuating yeast than whatever else you were going to use?

I waited over two days and the yeast did not start. The package never expanded either. I thought safale04 was the same as whitbread.

My understaning is higher mash temp it will have less fermentables so it will finish higher, plus as mentioned the yeast can make a difference.

Back