Will storing outside be ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoloMT7

Reaction score
I have a Apple & Cran cider well more like a wine now (it's pretty dry OG was 1.072 FG now is .998 so it's almost 10% ABV) anyways i just racked it from the secondary to a third Carboy tonight. So I'm wondering if it would be alright to store this outside for long term aging now? The outside temps right now are pretty cold here in Missoula, MT. Lows in the 20s or 30s at night but during the day it's around 40 or so. In this weather would it be bad for me to store this out in my shed would it freeze ? (no heat in there). Or would it just be best if I leave it inside (about 68 degress F inside) The first taste of this I took was so-so after primary really big bit and dry though. Today tasted better so I want to continue to age it. I do plan to back sweeten with Xylitol at bottling but it's got a plenty high ABV for me right now and if I leave it inside here I'm afraid it is going to continue to ferment (Red star Champagne yeast won't quit)... Thoughts or suggestions ? Thanks everyone:mug:

If it freezes, your carboy will break. I wouldn't put it outside.

The yeast may take the cider to .990, and it's at .998, so it's either finished or nearly finished.

I've found, through small batch testing in wine, and suggest you test a glass or two as well, that xylitol and other sweetners weren't as good as backsweetning as glycerol. I liked the glycerin better because it added some mouthfeel to my meads and wines and a touch of sweetness. Xylitol and other sugar substitutes tasted "fake" in my meads and wines, and personally I don't mind sugar substitutes in my coffee/diet sodas/food, but in my alcoholic beverages glycerin tested best.
What I am going to tell you isn't a suggestion to do this, but during the month of December I kept my porter out in a 16X16 insulated but unheated outbuilding, and over night temps were in the low/mid twenties, and day time highs were in the 30's and 40's, my porter was in a 6 gallon glass carboy, your results are likely to vary greatly....If you wanted to cold lager your your cider you could do so safely in a plastic brew bucket.
off topic: but I used to make midnight runs out to jerry johnson on Wednesday "school nights," usually get there then find out we forgot out headlights at home, then stumble all the way to springs flicking a lighter every 10 seconds to get a glimpse of trail,,,,usually this was done in the middle of winter as well....god the 90's were awesome!

Back