Will my beet tast bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuel

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to this forum and new to brewing but I love good beer. Im making a batch of English style esb. I followed all the directions, kept things clean but I think I made 2 mistakes. I keep the lid mostly on for the boil. The lid doesn't make complete contact with the pot so I know it vented some steam. Also my wort took took another 7 hours to get down to 85f. (Ran out of ice) I got impatient and pitched the yeast at 85f. I put the wort in the fermenter at 140f. I thought cold water from my fridge would cool it off enough. Now the fermenter is sitting at about 75f bubbling away. Did I make cabbage beer?

Pitched on the high side and temp now sounds high as well. Drinkable, should be. Temp control is important and pitching cooler too. If the fermenter is closed up, letting sit overnight will be OK before you pitch.

I wish would have waited till the next day. I used safale s-04

I've never been a fan of beets. So if you ask me, your beet will always taste bad...

But seriously in the future don't boil with the lid on, it's not going to do your beer any favors (DMS, low boil off etc). If you can't quite get it down to desired pitching temp, just make sure everything is sanitized and sealed properly and chill it to desired pitching temp (see no chill brewing). At this point, you might as well soldier on and see what comes out at the other end. It's either a learning experience or a beer that you can give to your friends who only care that it contains alcohol. We all have at least one or two friends like that and it keeps them out of your good stuff...

lol I just realized I typed beets instead of beer. I should have better prepared myself before starting my brew. Now I may end up with a permanent bitter beer face.

How about you just let it ferment, take a hydrometer reading after 7-10 days, taste it, then determine if you could drink it once it's carbonated.
In the future, let the wort cool to 80f, pitch at 80 or less, then control the temp at 67-70 while it ferments, bottle or keg. Even if it doesnt taste wonderful it can still be drinkable. Cabbage beer might be a trend, enjoy with corned beef!
Relax, brew, have fun:mug:

First off if it's extract instead of all grain then don't worry at all about the lid being on. No problems at all AFAIK.

If you're doing all grain I wouldn't worry tooooo much about the lid being on, I think DMS is possible but it's often overblown. My electric stove is crappy so I have to put the lid on, let the boil start roiling, take the lid off, wait for the boil to die down, put the lid back on, etc. etc. and have never had the slightest hint of a vegetable flavor despite the lid being on most of the time.

Now I've heard bad things about S-04 being fermented hot, as in cidery off tastes, which is why I like S-05, it's more forgiving of higher temps.

Back