will molasses flavor mellow w/ ageing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strider

Reaction score
Ok I just popped open a sample porter about a week and a half into bottle conditioning. Question, will molasses flavor mellow w/ ageing? I know in general this is a brew that will improve w/ age, but will molasses flavor mellow. The brew is good but the molasses is a bit overpowering. I've already got a few thoughts on my next batch of this recipe like a higher att. yeast to dry it out some and maybe .5 c. rather then a full c. of molasses.
Thanks
-john

Yes, but unfortunately it will take a while. I WAAAYYY overdid a Thomas Jefferson Ale that called for Molasses and it was rather horrible for a while. It ended up tasting pretty good, but it took a good 2-3 months.

Thanks thats what I though. This batch had a good month in primary and another in 2ndary so it's already been bulk aged a bit. My plan was to bottle age another few months so we'll see if I still wanna cut back the molasses then:)

Bottle it, let it carb, and put it in cold storage for an extended period of time, as many as you can fit on one of the bottom drawers of the fridge, and the rest in the cellar. This will likely mellow any overbearing molasses flavor. Lager at least another month and likely will take two or three more and it will be tasty.

Odd thing is 90 years ago yesterday a 52 foot high tank containing 2.5 million gallons of Molasses burst in Boston. An 8 foot high wall of the sticky goo flowed down the streets of Boston crushing buildings and killing 21 humans and countless horses.

I stay away from it.

Not that that has ANYTHING to do with brewing.

Odd thing is 90 years ago yesterday a 52 foot high tank containing 2.5 million gallons of Molasses burst in Boston. An 8 foot high wall of the sticky goo flowed down the streets of Boston crushing buildings and killing 21 humans and countless horses.

I stay away from it.

Not that that has ANYTHING to do with brewing.

Uhhhhhhh.... Perhaps you need to lay off the HB for a little while. You are scaring me here. :eek:

How much did you guys use in your batches?

I've never used more than IIRC a quarter cup in one and two TBS in the othe recipes that I put it inr, and the flavor never really came through...just the opposite, it seemed to me that it when it fermented it dried and thinned out the beer (nicely) but didn't leave much flavor in the profile...

I used the whole bottle. Two cups. The recipe was an old recipe that was supposedly one that Thomas Jefferson himself made and the measurements weren't 100% clear. I just put the bottle in and ran with it. Two cups of molasses will definitely make the flavor come through. Too much so. I would say in a 5 gallon batch, the absolute most someone should use would be one cup, and that would still be strong. 1/4-1/2 cup is probably ideal for adding some boost with little flavor change.

Brown Ale recipe. The batch I've got in my primary right now called for 8 oz of brown sugar and 8 oz of molasses. Along with 1 lb of candied sugar. Also called for adding 8 oz of maple syrup into primary 2-3 days into fermentation. OG 1070. I'll let you know how strong the molasses flavor is in about 6 weeks.

i have a chocolate oatmeal stout.. i used .5 cup of molasses in the boil and .25 cup with .5 cup priming sugar when bottling... it IS a little too much , but im glad to hear it will dissipate with time, its only about 2 months old so far..joe

1 cup blackstrap (plantation) molasses as called for in the recipe. I'm actually suprised it would be used to dry out a beer. I would have thought that molasses has a lot of unfermentables in it. As I said, not worried about it (still good just a bit overpowering esp. when warm) and was planning on ageing for awhile. It's good to know it will mellow out though with age as then it might be perfect and recipe will just need a yeast change. I'll let U guys know how that works out in a few months:)

Brown Ale recipe. The batch I've got in my primary right now called for 8 oz of brown sugar and 8 oz of molasses. Along with 1 lb of candied sugar. Also called for adding 8 oz of maple syrup into primary 2-3 days into fermentation. OG 1070. I'll let you know how strong the molasses flavor is in about 6 weeks.

Oh boy... I just made the same (Calagione) recipe last week... hope it's not a :drunk:

Back