Will it mash at pH ~5.00?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Silver_Is_Money sounds like an interesting project. I'd be included as an alpha tester too just let me know what's needed and I'm in.

I don't see the utility myself. You are basically just ignoring mash pH and altering kettle pH. All you need is a single equation for that to estimate the acid amount.

Cue the overcomplicated solution...

I don't see the utility myself. You are basically just ignoring mash pH and altering kettle pH. All you need is a single equation for that to estimate the acid amount.

@RPIScotty I'm interested in learning more about Larry's concept and joining the discussion about the how's and why's, in addition to the equations.

Until you hit partial differential equations
Ordinary differential equations are great, but partials are tricky sneaky nasty little hobbittses....

The main overcomplication may lie within this data found in table XI as found within: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1975.tb03663.x

In Table XI we learn that:

1) For an unacidified mash at 5.73 pH the drop during the boil is 0.25 points, to 5.48 post boil and cooling
2) For a mash acidified to 5.59 pH the drop during the boil is 0.18 points, to 5.41 post boil and cooling
3) For a mash acidified to 5.40 pH the drop during the boil is 0.10 points, to 5.30 post boil and cooling
4) For a mash acidified to 5.20 pH the drop during the boil is 0.01 points, to 5.19 post boil and cooling

Other overcomplications may involve acid normality valuations being altered by their pH and temperature environments.

Last edited:
Just finished reading this entire thread. Even though it shifted greatly from the original topic, I found it quite interesting. I've always taken my PH readings at mash temp and never room temperature. More from ignorance than anything. So after reading this thread I should assume that my last brew, which measured a mash PH of 5.33 with my ATC was actually at 5.58?

EDIT: It also got me thinking I should take BOTH mash temp and room temp PH readings over a period of time and compare the data.

Just finished reading this entire thread. Even though it shifted greatly from the original topic, I found it quite interesting. I've always taken my PH readings at mash temp and never room temperature. More from ignorance than anything. So after reading this thread I should assume that my last brew, which measured a mash PH of 5.33 with my ATC was actually at 5.58?

Yes, likely 5.58 to 5.68 pH as measured at room temperature. Even for ATC.

BTW, 5.58 to 5.68 pH in the mash (or rather, at the completion of the mash) is quite perfect by my new way of thinking about this.

EDIT: It also got me thinking I should take BOTH mash temp and room temp PH readings over a period of time and compare the data.

Yes. 5.58-ish.

And Yes. Measuring at both temperatures for a while is great learning experience.

Cheers!

Back