Will Hop-Burn Age Out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franktalk

Reaction score
Brewed a hazy Pale Ale with a five ounce dry hop. It is hot as Hades. Will it get better? At all? Ever?

If you cold crashed the hop residue should have dropped out. If the hops are at the bottom of the keg you’ll want to transfer the beer with a floating dip tube or siphon into another keg or suitable container. After which the beer should be just fine.

, it will fade out. My Enigma IPA suffered too long warm dry hop and was "mostly" undrinkable untill 7weeks cold storage... some friends loved it when I find rotten smell but only stoo strong taste... and after few few months it is strong but sweet balanced with hops...

If you cold crashed the hop residue should have dropped out. If the hops are at the bottom of the keg you’ll want to transfer the beer with a floating dip tube or siphon into another keg or suitable container. After which the beer should be just fine.
I cold-crashed, but only for 24 hours or so. That was because the dry hops were still in the fermenter.

So 3 weeks after dry hop, how long did you dry hop? Is it kegged or bottled? When in the fermentation process did you dry hop?
I dry hopped for two days at 20 C. I started cold-crashing at the end of the second day. I kegged from the fermenter , and I had dry hopped in the primary but after fermentation finished.

, it will fade out. My Enigma IPA suffered too long warm dry hop and was "mostly" undrinkable untill 7weeks cold storage... some friends loved it when I find rotten smell but only stoo strong taste... and after few few months it is strong but sweet balanced with hops...
This is good news indeed! I will put it aside (cold) for a few more weeks and try it again. Thanks!

Did you dump yeast/Trub prior to cold crash? And what was your cold crash temp?
I was afraid someone would ask that question; for no reason other than I'm not able to dump trub from my fermenter. I whirlpool in the boil kettle and then let all the break settle out. The wort is clear going into the fermenter, but the yeast and hops were together for the three -day dry hop.

I was afraid someone would ask that question; for no reason other than I'm not able to dump trub from my fermenter. I whirlpool in the boil kettle and then let all the break settle out. The wort is clear going into the fermenter, but the yeast and hops were together for the three -day dry hop.
So, keep that in mind for your next brew! 1st dump at 3-5 days after reaching final gravity. Dry hop for no more than 2 days and dump again. Cold crash and keg. For now I would cold crash again down to 33f, siphon out the beer and transfer to another keg and all should be fine. I have a 15 gal conical and I am able to enjoy my beer 10 days after fermentation starts. I double dry hop, 1st during high krousin then on day 7. I dump Trub and yeast on day 6 and 8. Cold crash, closed transfer and drink! Cheers!

Back