Will EC-118 kill 099? Stuck fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I'm working on my monster 25% annual specialty ale but this year's brew is giving me problems.

I started with an Abbey Ale yeast slurry which brought me to about 10%. That was followed up with EC-118 which got me almost exactly to 18% and my SG was down to about 1.080

Finally I pitched the 099 but got no action. I let it ride for several weeks then pulled off a sample which I pitched into a 1.050 simple sugar solution to attempt to proof it. Nothing.

Okay - this tells me I haven't run out of fermentables but that I have no viable yeast. I assumed I pitched the 099 too early and the EC-118 killed it.

Several weeks later I repitched 099 thinking that if the 118 was responsible, sitting that long in the 18% ABV would have killed it (no further fermentation was taking place).

Waited several weeks and still nothing. I know there are still fermentables in there because I pitched the "proof" sample complete with additional simple sugars back into the fermenter.

Is it possible the 118 is inactive but still killing off the 099?

Should I sorbate, cold crash, rack and repitch the 099?

Back