Will chilled homebrew skunk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason9000

Reaction score
I'm thinking about kegging my next batch but I'm not sure I will use it all in one session. The keg will take up alot of room in the fridge and my wife won't like it at all. So my question is, if I let it come to room temp after being chilled is it going to ruin all my hard work and taste bad the next weekend?

Light will skunk the beer. It won't get any light in the keg. Heat on the other hand will give you other off flavors.

I agree with what Denny said. It will be fine as long as it is not stored in an overly warm area, no higher than, say, 70˚F. The cooler the better. Skunking is caused by exposure to UV light, not temperature.

John

Hot beer gets sour and by hot I mean 85F or higher. Soon thereafter, the yeast start dying and decomposing and your beer tastes like rubber.

david_42 said:
Hot beer gets sour and by hot I mean 85F or higher. Soon thereafter, the yeast start dying and decomposing and your beer tastes like rubber.

Through a convoluted process involving a bank I worked for foreclosing on a package store, I was once able to acquire as much beer - FREE - as I could bring home in my car. Oh, and I was able to do this during work hours. Of course, since the package store had been shut down for months and it was the middle of the summer, it was literally 95 degrees (at least) in the store, and had been for quite some time.

The good news is that you can fit approximately sixteen cases of beer in a Mazda 323. The bad news is that is some nasty-ass beer.

Back