Will additives effect OG/FG and alcohol percent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
One brew I have on the horizon is an oatmeal stout which I want to make into a sort of breakfast stout but probably not as big as Founders. Will adding coffee and chocolate effect the gravity and/or alcohol?

I'm thinking of doing a cold press for the coffee and maybe 3oz of semi-sweet chocolate at flame out (does this sound good)?

The semi-sweet chocolate will probable increase the gravity, hence, it is sweetened. A good idea would be to note how many grams of sugar will be added and incorporate this in your calculations to determine ABV. Sounds good, be sure to heat all your ingredients well as sterilization is a reason for boiling wort. The coffee will not add any fermentables.

Pelican521 said:
One brew I have on the horizon is an oatmeal stout which I want to make into a sort of breakfast stout but probably not as big as Founders. Will adding coffee and chocolate effect the gravity and/or alcohol?

I'm thinking of doing a cold press for the coffee and maybe 3oz of semi-sweet chocolate at flame out (does this sound good)?

The Coffee won't effect the gravity of your wort. Adding chocolate will definitely effect the OG and FG. Basically any sugars you add will increase your OG. However some sugars like lactose and maltodextrin are unfermentable by beer yeast so they will effect will result in slightly higher FG.

Cheers!!

Cool, thx for the replies. I think I'll add the chocolate in the last 15, when I'm adding my late extract addition.

I've read a bunch of posts on how much coffee to use vs water and as everything, there are a lot if different views.

Can anyone give me a measurement of coffee in tablespoons and cups of water, I don't have a way to measure ounces (heh, I did though, many years ago).

Thanks!

cold press? cold brew the coffee? It depends on how concentrated you want. I use about 2 cups of coffee filled to 8 cups of water. I put 2 1/4 (by 3/4 cup) of coffee grounds into a 2 quart pitcher and fill it with water. I figure that the water is probably 6 to 6.5 cups.** So what is that about a 3 to 1 ratio of water to coffee? And then when I mix coffee for the morning I use 3 parts water to 1 part concentrate. So figure I get 3x concentrated compared to a Mr.Coffee with this. And I use a 24hour sit time on the counter. I recommend that you put some camden tab in it, unless you are adding it at flame out. Heck, do the camden anyway and then at flameout.

** there is a certain amount of water that stays with the coffee grounds. grain absorption.

Back