Will 4 days in shipping hurt my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbruch

Reaction score
I ordered a partial mash kit from more beer. First time. The grains etc shipped from here in pa and I received them quickly. The yeast however is being shipped from ca and fed ex is saying 4 days in transit. I bought the ice packs but they aren't going to last that long. Will the yeast (white labs, sorry) be ok? How will I know if its spoiled? Thanks for any info!

Make a starter. Its the only way to test viability of the yeast without pitching it directly into your wort which I would not want to do without knowing if the yeast is viable or not. White Labs also is one I always like to run a starter with. It tends to be very slow to pick up fermentation on a direct pitch without a starter.
My .02, make a starter and see what you have left when it arrives.
I stopped ordering yeast online after some very bad experiences with the Wyeast smack packs and summer/spring heat during shipping. Even with 2 ice packs, they are just not making here in time to stay alive.

If you cannot make a starter and will direct pitch, make sure you have a good dry yeast pack of similar strain close at hand for backup(speaking from experience).
:)

I agree with bbohanon make a starter with it, it's the only way to know.

I either use dry yeast or one of my "house" strains (I've got an ale and a lager) unless I'm making something very style specific (like a Wee Heavy) that I just don't keep around.

I would say the yeast is ok, but to echo the recommendations, make a starter. Two reasons: 1) to confirm the yeast is alive, and 2) you'll most likely need a starter anyway to get your yeast count up an optimum pitching level. In all likelihood, don't be surprised if you need to step the yeast up twice, depending on the yeast's best-before date.

http://www.yeastcalc.com/index.html

Thanks for the info. I've never made a yeast starter. I watched a YouTube video and the guy used dme to start it. I don't have any. Can I use some of the lme that came with the morebeer oatmeal stout kit or is that a bad thing?

+1 ^

I feel ice packs for shipping are a fallacy and bet they have melted before the shipment even leaves the warehouse. Plus they can freeze the yeast during the first hour if in close contact, which is not good either.

A starter is a must with one vial of liquid yeast. You need to double your yeast count at least, or more depending on viability. The big trick is estimating that viability, how many yeast cells are still active.

You can use LME to hold you over and get your starter going, but if you take it out of your recipe ingredients, the beer will be thinner. Or make less beer at the correct gravity. It would be better if you can get some LME or DME in the mean time to replenish the recipe when you're ready to brew, in a couple days.

You need to use 25% more LME (by weight) than what a DME recipe calls for.

I just had the exact same issue. I bought some French Saison yeast and by the time it got here is was completely room temperature. I made a starter, but within 24 hours I didn't get the typical intense Krausening. The yeast was definitely multiplying as there was about 1/4 of yeast at the bottom, plus active CO2 production and bubbles. I went ahead and made the batch, so fingers crossed. The starter isn't as robust as I would like, but hopefully it will just be a slow start in the carboy. The batch is only 1.048 and a saison, so I don't think it will stress the yeast too much. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts about this.

Back