Wild yeast in Asia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewolero

Reaction score
I've got a trip coming up to Guangzhou, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Siem Reap, and Beijing. Anyone know of any breweries doing wild beers in those areas, specifically with locally harvested yeasts?

I'd be willing to truck a few "liquid yeast samples" back to the US around May if anyone knows of any breweries to check out there.

I know there is a Japanese brewery fermenting with bugs found in soy sauce berrels(cannot remember the name).
But,as the climate in KL,Sinapore and Cambodia are way way too hot to be able to keep bugs in check AND the fact that only BIG producers of yellow fizz are in the market place,I do not like your chances.
But,as a resident of Thailand,I wish you the best of luck ib your quest.

I recently spent 3 months wandering around SE Asia. I hit all of the places on your list except China. In the entire time I was there I only found 2 halfway decent beers. Both were stouts brewed in Cambodia but neither were any better than an average stout over here. Virtually every other regional beer I tried was crapo and I wouldn't want to make any effort to imitate it. Also, I didn't see any indication of a beer that was even bottle carbed that might have some yeast in it so I think you'll be hard pressed to get any wild beer yeast to bring home.

That said, if you're interested in trying to brew Sake or rice wine you may be in luck. I can't help you with specifics but I can tell you that virtually every region has their own style and many areas use wild yeast in the process. If you're going to have any chance to get out of urban areas (Siem Reap is pretty rural and if you're going to Angkor Wat you'll have plenty of opportunities for local rice wine) you'll have a good shot of getting some local stuff with some trub in the bottom.

BTW, if you're looking for any non beer related tips for the region (my main beer related tip is stick to rice wine) send me a PM. I'm happy to give you suggestions for most of the cities you mention and others.

Latest posts

Back