Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Wild Pecan Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a couple more of these since my last update and the nutty pecan flavor has gone away almost completely. I know things change over time, but I was expecting it to get stronger, if anything. .

The thing with oils is that they're also where the flavor comes from.
-If you want a more intense pecan flavor, I wouldn't waste more money on more pecans, I would just remove less oil.

There is probably a point where head retention becomes a problem, but its probably much more than this repeated towel drying process leaves in the beer.

I brew a coconut porter as every 4th beer that I make and I've brewed with cocoa nibs- all toasted many times- these ingredients also end up with a lot of oils coming out as you toast them, but the oils are where the flavor comes from. I don't get rid of any of the oils as I want the flavor of the expensive ingredient in my beer.

I'd be interesting to see this beer modified with more and more oils left in solution. I'd imagine you could get this much pecan flavor with half as many pecans.

Generally adding ingredients like this later results in more oils and therefore more flavor in your pint glass, too. So I'm interested in the results of anyone who may have "dry nutted" their beer.

Adam

Thanks for the info biertourist.

Just as an update, everyone I've given this beer to has really enjoyed it. They can all taste the nuttiness, but it is fairly faint. No one can pick up any maple though. I think all I accomplished with that was thinning the beer out just a bit.

I'll probably try it again this fall without the syrup and without removing any of the oil and see what happens. I get terrible head retention as it is, so I'm going to see what flavor that gets me and not worry about anything else.

The second of your recipes I am looking to try out WildGingerBrewing
I was wondering if anyone has tried smoking the pecans, like in a meat smoker, instead of roasting them. I'm wondering if you could extract maximum smoky pecan flavor that way?

Glad you are a fan :) that sounds like an interesting idea. Could accomplish the same goal. My concern would be that the smokiness would overpower the subtle flavor of the pecan. Only one way to find out though! Report back and let me know how it works out :mug:

Hello. New brewer from norway☺gonna brew this tomorow..very excited. But..it says 25 oz of northern brewer...isnt that alot of it??

Thats more like it ☺ thanks☺ looking forward to this beer😀

I intend to brew a pecan beer someday, but I was wondering: why add them to the mash? Sure, it makes sense in terms of flavour extraction but there's not a lot of mashing potential in them is there? Would it make sense to hot steep them and add the extract post-boil?

I guess you could do it that way as well. I never really thought about it. I'm not sure the sugar content of pecans, but it just made sense to me to add it to the mash. No particular reason, in all honesty. Try it and let us know.

Seems like either way should work. But unless you are worried about boiling off flavor or aroma compounds, I don't see why you wouldn't just do it all at once. Might make for an interesting experiment to see if there is a difference.

Brewing this tomorrow. Pecans are roasted and im ready. Been over 2 years since i brewed this. Im really excited.

If I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more excited than I am now. :D Pear cider tomorrow and then Headless Topper in a couple of weeks.

I'm drinking a glass of this beer now, brewed by Ginger himself.

Aroma
Notes of caramel and chocolate. Roasted pecan that becomes more prominent as it warms.

Body
Medium. Nice, silky mouthfeel.

Taste
Clean. Low esters. Well balanced bitterness.

Somewhat roasty with hints of chocolate. Lingering, nutty finish from the pecans.

Good head retention.

Overall, an excellent beer. Well brewed and just delicious. This is definitely on my to- brew list.

Thanks again, Ginger!

IMG_20160120_100505.jpg

I'm drinking a glass of this beer now, brewed by Ginger himself.

Aroma

Notes of caramel and chocolate. Roasted pecan that becomes more prominent as it warms.

Body

Medium. Nice, silky mouthfeel.

Taste

Clean. Low esters. Well balanced bitterness.

Somewhat roasty with hints of chocolate. Lingering, nutty finish from the pecans.

Good head retention.

Overall, an excellent beer. Well brewed and just delicious. This is definitely on my to- brew list.

Thanks again, Ginger!

Thanks, hat! Nice review.
He's just trying to spare your feelings, Ginger.

Screw you, hunter! :)
Haha. I was looking for flaws so I could offer some constructive criticism. Didn't find any. Granted my palate is not that refined but I can't think of one thing I would change. It's good.

Thanks again. I'll have to send you more next brew!

I brewed a nut brown ale some time back and was underwhelmed (probably my taste). But this recipe appears that it may bring more of the body/complexity that I'm looking for. I may give this a try!?

I noticed you split your sparge volume and do 2 sparges? Any reason for that other than a minuscule increase in efficiency? Or do you sparge at different temps??

Way back when, when i posted this recipe, i split the sparges because i felt like i got a better "rinse of sugars" that way. I have since done a major upgrade to my system and do a single sparge. Whatever your process is, i would say, use it. You know your system better than anyone else. Hope you enjoy it. It is a great beer!

If anyone is budget concious, 10 oz. Of shelled raw pecans are under $6 at Aldi stores. By far the cheapest I have seen for pecans in my area.

I'm looking forward to winter with this one. I made a maple hazelnut porter last year that went over well. This will be on my winter brew list.

Has anyone tried a roasted amd glazed pecan on this beer? There's an interesting roasted pecan recipe I saw that uses water, sugar, cinnamon, and pecans. That was enough to gain my attention. I know the sugar would ferment, but the roast of the pecan and a splash of vanilla and cinnamon could be real interesting too. Decisions decisions...

After some debate about the the flavor being in the oils, I decided to try an experiment. Tomorrow I will be brewing an 8 gal batch, 5 for kegging and 3 for bottling, using a different process. I roasted 3.5 lbs of pecans at 350, three times @ 15 min each, and did not soak up the oils. The recipe is basically the same just scaled up:
9.75 lbs 2-row
3.5 lbs pecans
2.5 lbs maris otter
1.8 lbs flaked barley
12 oz roasted barley
12 oz c-60
12 oz c-120
4 ox chocolate malt
4 oz cara-pils
1.5 lbs rice hulls
.75 oz northern brewer @ 60 min - 11.7 ibu
.75 oz northern brewer @ 15 min - 5.8 ibu
.55 oz cascade @ 5 min - 1.7 ibu
I made a 2500 ml starter using WLP-023 burton ale (lhbs was out of 1275 thames valley but it should be the same)

I will report back in a few weeks and review the head retention and flavor of the pecans. It will be interesting to me to see how the head holds up and if the flavor is stronger due to the oils remaining.

Well here it is. Much less head retention and lacing. Which i attribute to the not soaking of oils. I cant do a side by side since i dont have any of the other. Its good. Really good. But im not sure its any better. I think i will go back to soaking up oils from now on. Live and learn. View attachment 370256

Thanks for running the experiment and posting the results. I've been thinking of brewing this one again sometime soon.

Latest posts

Back