Wild hops in sumner washington. Variety?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcode190

Reaction score
So I have a friend restoring an old farm in the Sumner valley. After clearing alot of brush he has hop shoots popping up every where. Is there any way to find out what variety is growing or what was groen there at one tine?

The first thing you need to determine if these are still the same farmed variety - or - if they have been naturalized and are now propagating by seed. Later in the season you can look for for males, or seeded cones. The point being: if they are growing form seed, you no longer have the same variety that was once planted.

It would be fine to plant them nearby but if there are males present they would be pollinated. I don't think seeded cones are detrimental to the finished beer but they do contribute up to 15% of their weight to the cone. Another consideration to make when weighing hops for brewing.

@alane1 Unfortunately, hop seeds contain lipids and protein that can be solubilized during the brewing process allowing for the creation of off-flavors. They also detract from alpha-acid production, often resulting in major decreases compared to unpollinated flowers.

No worries though, if you do find seed in them, you'll have people interested in helping you with them.

@alane1 Unfortunately, hop seeds contain lipids and protein that can be solubilized during the brewing process allowing for the creation of off-flavors. They also detract from alpha-acid production, often resulting in major decreases compared to unpollinated flowers.

I've heard this over the years and have never really perceived any 'off flavors' in any of the beers I've brewed where seeded hops were used. Granted, I'm not the best brewer, but my results have been consistent when using seeded or seedless hops. A few years ago this same issue came up and I did some searching that revealed quite a few articles from sources like Oregon State, World Brewing Congress, etc. that seemed to debunk it to a degree. One of the first hits I saw when I searched today was here: http://www.britishhops.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Asia-Pacific-Final-Paper.pdf. I'm just wondering if the beers you've brewed with seeded hops have had off flavors or not?

Back