Wild Hop leaf. . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Found these growing in the countryside. There were several bines, all climbing up things going clockwise, and they appear to be hops (no flowers yet) I (accidentally--seriously) pulled up some roots/rhizomes, so I cut them off. . .there was a car driving back and forth wondering what I was doing, so I was in a hurry before any curious authorities arrived.

If I was smart, I would have taken some of the bine with me instead of just the root cuttings, and I know its a bit late to plant rhizomes, but that sucker is planted on my property now, and has been watered down. Hopefully it will take off.

These were in an area where hops have been picked by friends of mine.

Any thoughts or ideas on varieties based on leaf morphology??

3548-wildhops.JPG

3548-Wildhopleaf.JPG

homebrewer_99 said:
Yeah, you gotta watch out for that IL ditch weed...especially in Henry Cty.;)

yeah, no joke. . . :)

I actually do recall seeing some possible early flowers up high on the bines (these things were going up a good 10 feet or more), but again, I was in a rush.

I was doing some searching, and the leaves look a lot like Cascade leaves-- some of the leaves on the bines were bigger than my hand. I grabbed a smaller one, obviously.

I'm not sure that those are Cascade. I have pictures of my Cascade plants (which grow very well here in No IL, BTW) in my gallery and the leaves look close, but I'm just not sure.

The flowers on my plants have begun to sprout. They are about the size of a marble right now. This is their third year.

Rhoobarb said:
I'm not sure that those are Cascade. I have pictures of my Cascade plants (which grow very well here in No IL, BTW) in my gallery and the leaves look close, but I'm just not sure.

The flowers on my plants have begun to sprout. They are about the size of a marble right now. This is their third year.

Yeah, not quite the same. The bigger leaves looked more like your cascades, and the bines were nearly identical in morphology. Some of the bigger leaves had a multi-lobed appearance (5 lobes), so you're right. . . they appear to be hop bines, but probably not cascades. . . .

Maybe Brewer's Gold or Bullion. Those were the common ones way back and are most likely to be found wild.

that brings up another point-- I've heard a lot of wild hops can be pretty high in AA.

I'd be curious to run the flowers through a chromatography column in the future.

Rhoobarb said:

My plants are mostly 2nd year and one is over 12' tall with a lot of hops on them. Mostly larger than a marble. :ban:

Several plants ar just over 6' tall now. I doubt they'll get much taller this year, but some of them have hops on them also. :rockin:

Maybe I'll take pics this weekend...

Latest posts

Back