Wild high gravity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PundyBrews

Reaction score
HI

I found a really interesting high gravity beer, Wild Ass Beer in the tasty brew recipe site.
For this recipe (which contains 17lbs of wheat extract) they say to add your super gravity yeast after 3 days of your hefe yeast and continue to transfer to another carboy every 10 days til fermentation is complete, possibly 2 months.

Is this just to keep the yeast in suspension if you don't have a O2 system?

Seems like you would lose a lot of beer by transfering it.

Its wildly high gravity? Dunno, are there instructions to let wild yeast get into this thing, or is it "wild" just because of the gravity?

I don't know how clean distiller's yeast normally is. My guess would be that either the yeast undergoes autolysis very quickly or simply generates unpleasant flavors very quickly, and they want you to rack it off to prevent these. Still, 10 days sounds pretty ridiculous...

If you are talking about the Turbo yeast. 10 days 20%

I used that in my Imperial IPA.

I figured it would go hog wild....Wrong. Only dropped gravity .50
I would NOT suggest this yeast at all for beer.
UNLESS, You dont care about the beer is SUPER cloudy.

On the good side, The beer came out with a really malty in flavor...Just wont clear.

I did not use gelatin, I didnt want to take the risk of messing up the beer.

Being a wheat give it a shot,
I have never tried a Imperial Wheat.
I would be interested to know if the high Alcohol is going to overpower the flavor of the wheat.

Might take a while for it to age to mellow out.

Back